Chapter 2

"Nis mik!?" The man in the middle growled from behind his mask. The Pond Protectors were dressed in the deep green of Asch grass; from their boots to the leather masks that ran around their eyes and down the sides of their faces. Despite their reptilian looks, Leyla knew they were well trained and lightning quick with those spears. She could take them, but it wouldn't be easy and Raphael might get injured in the process.

"Do they think we are thieves?" The Prorex said behind her. Despite the obvious irritation in his voice, he continued to keep his hands well away from his body.

"We are friends of Jara da Su and are travelling to the Jade Palace!" Leyla spoke to the one she assumed was their leader, holding up her palms to show her good intentions. The Pond Protectors started muttering among themselves, pointing at her then Raphael in turn with the tips of their spears as they talked.

"What did you tell them?" Raphael hissed.

"It doesn't matter, I don't think they believed me." Leyla did not take her eyes off the spears, her senses telling her they were about to make a move. "If they attack, step back."

"Leyla -" Raphael's protest was cut short when the Protector on her left suddenly rushed forward, his spear coming for her throat. Leyla spun, her wet hair whipping about her as she stomped on the corner of the sword, making it fly into the air. Pushing Raphael out of harms way, she continued to spin and grabbed the falling sword by the hilt.

The Protector recovered from his surprise and thrust again. Leyla swung upwards and the weapons crashed, metal to metal. Then flexing her wrist, she slid the blade along the spear and twisted again sending it flying out of the guards grasp and into the water.

The splash was followed by silence. Leyla kept her sword pointed at the disarmed man who was grinning foolishly under his mask. The rest of the Pond Protects wore similar expressions. Had they lost their minds?

"Utan La-la, it is you!" The Leader thumped his chest in greeting, his subordinates following suit. "Please follow us."

"They recognised you?" Raphael stepped up beside her as Leyla lowered her sword. The defeated Protector thumped his chest once more, before joining the rest of his group as they retreated back into the forest.

"It seems like it," Leyla nodded, though she wasn't quite sure how. "Come on, they want us to follow." Raphael took the sword she held out to him without comment. His expression was neutral, which was per usual, but there was something stiff about the way he moved as he made to follow the Protectors.

"Were you hurt?" she asked, walking behind him.

Raphael mumbled something she didn't catch, then looked over his shoulder, his habitual smile in place. "Hurt? No. Uncomfortable? Yes. Walking in wet clothes is not a sensation a want to get used to."

He was right of course. Her dress was starting to dry in the mid-day heat, but it still clung to her legs awkwardly. She brushed by a light-grey tree in passing and was surprised when a honey-citrus smell wafted from the bark, reminding her that they had not eaten in a long time. Raphael was wet and hungry, it was only natural for his mood not to be the best. The vegetation was thinner up ahead, so the clearing wouldn't be too far away. "This is an Aqua-Island, they will have barracks with food and extra clothing."

"And then?" Raphael asked, stepping over a cluster of bright pink mushrooms. "Surely the invincible Utan La-La has a plan."

"Funny," Leyla frowned at his back. There was something in the way he spoke...he seemed more annoyed than uncomfortable? Was he the kind to get angry when he was hungry? She knew some Warriors like that. Or maybe it was the loss of his headdress? As Leyla thought about what she might have done to anger him, she realised there were many possibilities.

To save her, Raphael had given the Healers a priceless object, travelled across the Four Kingdoms to deal with the plots of the Green King, fought the Warrior guard of the maniacal Warrior Queen and risked his life to escape to an entirely different dimension. Leyla had to be the most troublesome fake fiancé in the history of Gaia and Asch; it would be strange if he wasn't mad. "Once we get to the Jade Palace, I will ask Jara for help. He has a fleet of Rezeg birds that can take us to the crags."

"That's where the portal is that you used to get Michael back home." Raphael slowed his steps so that they were now walking side-by-side. "You certainly do have everything worked out."

Leyla raised her brows at the bitter tinge in his tone. "Wasn't that the way you planned to return when you jumped us into Asch?"

"You-" Raphael's words trailed off as his gaze caught on something out in the clearing ahead. "That does not look like barracks."