Chapter 52

The boat ride back to the inner keep was very quiet. Raphael wanted to have words with his Curator, so they  took the first vessel, while she rode in the second with the ministers and Annabelle. Sitting beside her father, Raphael's mistress kept her peace for which Leyla was immensely grateful. She was having trouble sifting through her thoughts without any additional distractions.

Was Alec really coming here? It didn't seem likely, but if he was, what would Raphael do when no outsider could pass through the gates of the Land of Light?

They arrived at the inner Keep a few hours before dusk. Michael was waiting for her at the dock, but Raphael was nowhere to be seen. Excusing herself from the ministers, she stepped onto the main island. Michael gave her a perfunctory greeting with a guarded expression, then led her around the dome to the back gardens.

"La-La," he began when he finally came to a stop. "Tell me how to help you."

Help her? Was he worried about her reaction to a possible Warrior approach? Still, Leyla was surprised at the pained look in his baby blue eyes. "What's the matter? You're not normally this dramatic-"

"Don't do that. Don't pretend you're okay." Michael dragged his fingers through his unruly hair. His voice was hoarse as he continued, "Why didn't you tell me, La-La?"

Genuinely confused, Leyla took a step towards him. "What is this about, Michael?"

He reached out, lifting her arm so that her bracelet dangled between them. "Why didn't you tell me?" he asked again.

Why in Four Kingdoms had Raphael told him about the bracelet now? Leyla pulled her arm back, touching the familiar grooves of the bangle, "There was no need."

"No need?" Michael's laugh lacked humour. "I've never known my brother to miscalculate so badly. At least he knows it..." He took Leyla's hand again, his eyes beseeching. "Raphael is not the kind to explain himself, but you understand don't you, that he did it to protect you? When the Leader told him he was going to make you wear it, Raphael asked that he be the one to put it on you. He was worried that you might protest if the Leader did it and get yourself hurt. He thought that might try to run and turn into a fugitive so he didn't explain things beforehand. I honestly don't know how he could have been so foolish when you wouldn't have run-"

"Michael, enough!" Leyla drew away from him, her mind whirling with the new information. "This is exactly why I didn't tell you. I will never come between you and your brother. You don't have to defend him to me." She brushed at her dress, an irritating habit that replaced her desire to shove her hands into her uniform pockets. So the Leader would have forced her to wear the bracelet if the Prorex didn't step in...so it wasn't Raphael's intention to imprison her. But then why was he refusing to take it off now? Was there yet more he wasn't explaining to her? By Tevvuk's Beard! This darned place with its secrets was going to drive her mad. "Let's not talk about this, what's done is done."

"Fine. I was just saying..." Michael kicked at a pebble, looking so petulant it almost made her smile. "But La-La, you aren't actually thinking about leaving are you?"

When she stayed silent, his eyes went wide. "I know you're mad at Raphael, but even if you don't go through with the wedding, you are accepted here. Teacher loves you, my mother thinks you're a hero and as silly as Lady Delphine might be, she looks up to you."

The scent of lavender wafted through the air, drawing Leyla's attention to the servants who were crossing the arched bridges of the inner keep with vases full of flowers.

"There is nowhere else that you wouldn't have to hide who you are and what you've lived through, not even Asch." Michael continued. He reached out, gently pulling at her skirt the way he had done whenever he sad, back in Asch . "Plus, what would I do without you?"

"Michael..." Leyla's heart hurt at seeing his sad face. She couldn't deny anything he was saying, but it didn't make a difference. Even if she had come to admire Teacher and Michael's mother, even if she imagined she could become friends with Lady Delphine...even though she wanted to stay with Michael, there was something he didn't realise. The Leader who had made her a prisoner was not the kind who would be satisfied with her remaining as anything other than his son's wife. And whether or not Raphael's actions were well intentioned, the fact remained that he had a mistress. She was not willing to give up her freedom, nor was she willing to be married to a man who would keep a mistress...not even if agreeing to it all meant finding out about her parents. 

"Book Keeper!" Annabelle's high-pitched voice broke into her thoughts. 

They turned to watch as the Lady she rushed over, concern marring her brow. "A scout has just arrived. Raphael - I mean, the Prorex  is waiting for you in his room."

Michael's demeanour changed in an instant. Gone was the boy she had lived with for half a decade and in his place was a High Thinker of the Land of Light. He gave Leyla a quick nod, then moved towards the Dome with swift steps.

The minute he was out of sight, the concern on Annabelle's pretty face was replaced with contempt. "A troop of Warriors are headed in our direction. The scout says they will be at our gates by dawn. You must be thrilled."

So Alec was really coming? Masking her surprise, Leyla crossed her arms over her chest. "Why would I be?"

"They are your people, aren't they?" Annabelle said. "This will be the perfect opportunity for you to return to them."

Leyla regarded the woman through narrowed eyes. After everything that happened, there was no place left for her in the Warrior Kingdom. But even if there had been, using this situation for her escape could start a war and Annabelle wasn't stupid enough not to realise that. "You want me to start trouble between the two Kingdoms?"

Annabelle shrugged, the silk at her elbows fluttering prettily as she moved to smell the roses nearby. "It wouldn't matter if you did. We would win, easily."

"No matter who the victor, lives would be lost," Leyla's frosty words had no effect on Raphael's mistress.

"A pathetic little Warrior cast off is about to take on one of the most important roles in the Land of Light." She inhaled the scent of a beautiful peach coloured rose, then snapped it off at its twig. "A few lives lost to stop that from taking place is nothing. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made for the greater good."

Her fingers curling with contempt, Leyla took a deep breath. How did this crazy woman manage to fool everyone so thoroughly? "I've warned you before, but just incase it didn't get through that thick scull of yours let me repeat: If you so much as attempt to touch me or anyone I care about, I will break your fingers."

"Oh, but what can I do?" Annabelle raised her hand to cover her mouth with mock concern. "You see, I know you care about Raphael, and well, I touch him all the time."

It would be so easy to wipe that smirk off of the blonde's face. One short jab at that haughty nose and she'd go down for the night...or a nice kick to the stomach. Bloody Diya, she wanted so badly to do the bitch some harm, but Michael would end up getting even more upset. 

Taking a slow cleansing breath, Leyla turned on her heel and walked away.