Chapter 14

The Akrepa women went about their business as the sun rushed across the sky. Leyla wanted to wait for Raphael to emerge from the healers tent, but she was summoned by the Elder.

"Come in," the woman called from her throne of blue pillows. Other than the boxes that lined the sides of the tent, everything inside was blue. The clothes hanging from the ceiling, the wide pillows in the sleeping area; even the pelts that had been placed for the Mahsap to sit on had been dyed blue. Jara caught Leyla's gaze as she walked in, the expression on his face telling her all was well. 

"You called for me, Elder?" Leyla stepped forward, watching as shaved-headed servants placed two large wooden boxes and a sharp knife in front of their leader. The old woman gestured with her gnarled fingers for Leyla to come closer, before holding the knife out for her to take.

"Give me a handful of your hair."

Hair? Accepting the blade, she glanced at Jara who nodded for her to do as she was told. What in Four Kingdoms was going on? And where was that strange, acidic smell coming from? She pulled her pony tale forward, cut off a handful of her hair, then passed the strands and knife back to the waiting Elder.  

"It will take until sunrise to prepare what you have asked for," the woman told Jara as she opened the boxes in front of her. The servants in the room knelt in reverence, while Leyla's eyes widened at the sight of the creatures crawling inside the crates. There had to be several dozen Akras, their fist-sized bodies glimmering in blue-green hues as they clambered over each other to reach the hair the Elder sprinkled over them. Legs flailing, stingers swinging ominously over their fat backs, the Akras feasted on the black strands with high-pitched shrieks. A shiver travelled up Leyla's spine.

"Thank you, Elder," Jara brought his hands together and bowed his head. 

The Elder narrowed her eyes on Leyla, then gave a short gravely laugh. "You must be quite special for the Mahsap to have pulled such a show for you."

"Sorry?" Leyla tore her gaze from the creatures that were now being locked away again by chanting servants.

The Elder snorted, speaking to Jara once more, "Not the sharpest though, hmm?"

The Mahsap smiled as he came to his feet. "Very sharp and very special." Then he put his hand on Leyla's shoulder. "I will wait outside while they take your measurements."

She opened her mouth to protest, but Jara did not wait to listen.

"Elder, I don't understand." Leya stepped towards the old woman who was now being pulled to her feet by two servants.

"Silly girl, I don't know if you are to be admired or pitied," the Elder shook her head. "Males are base creatures that feed off female energy. Those two out there are particularly dangerous and have you in their sights. Use them as breeders if you must, but don't let them turn into shackles that bind your light."

The image of Alec suddenly appeared before Leyla's eyes. Behind the point of a sword, his expression told her to give in. Come to me Greeneyes. Her chest tightening, Leyla blinked.

"Take her measurements for a shirt," the Elder said, now standing beside the tent door. "Don't make it loose, she is to wear it under that uniform."

"Wait!" Leyla started to protest but the old woman raised her hand for silence.

"Don't waste your breath," she spoke over her shoulder. "This is the forfeit the Mahsap was after. You have no right to refuse."

The servants closed in on Leyla once their leader left the tent, pulling her arms this way and that while the Akras inside the crates continued to shriek their pleasure.