Chapter 39

The hallways within the inner keep walls were surprisingly bright. Leyla looked up five stories to the clear ceiling that was allowing all the daylight to filter in and marvelled at the work of the Land of Light's alchemists. Fruit trees that grew in dead soil, red oil that produced light without a flame, little balls that provided a days worth of nutrition and of course the bracelet that could prevent dimension travel; what else were they capable of?

"Consort," a Light Guard stood at attention at the sight of her approach. Leyla could see the hesitation in his eyes, then he bowed deep and let her continue on her way. It had been the same with the last three guards she passed; they didn't know if she was allowed to be in the Alchemists Hall, but did not want to risk making a mistake by stopping her.

In truth, Leyla wasn't sure if she was allowed to be in this part of the inner keep either, but that was not going to stop her. Aside from needing to gather information about the keeps security, she was fairly certain the bracelet on her wrist must have been made here. The person who made it would know how to remove it. Unfortunately, she had no idea who that someone might be and had yet to see anyone other than the guards posted at 30-step intervals.

She glanced at the doors to her left and right. Made of a strange looking wood with a deep blue colour, they sported numbers and were all firmly shut. In the White Gardens, upper floors often functioned as living quarters while the bottom floors were classrooms. If they used the same system here in the Inner Keep, chances were that these ground floor doors had to lead to work rooms of sorts. Maybe if she knocked...

The blue door with the number 28 suddenly opened and a tall boy who looked no more than 15 stepped out. He was wearing white robes with fitted sleeves that billowed unbecomingly around his stick-thin frame.

The boy saw her watching him and scrambled to touch his fingers to his forehead. "Consort! I mean Teacher!"

Teacher. He was already calling her by the title that she would receive if she married the Prorex. Alright, if he thought so highly of her position, she could use that to her advantage.

"Please," Leyla raised her palm, aiming for an air of frailty. "I'm not a Teacher."

"But you will be!" The boy smiled, showing crooked teeth. Leyla almost felt bad for trying to trick someone so obviously naive. But desperate times called for desperate measures.

"I suppose you are right. Are you by any chance, an alchemist?"

"In training," the boy beamed proudly. "I moved from the White Lands six weeks ago, Consort. I hope to serve you and all the High Thinkers well."

"I am sure you will." She smiled at him, then let her gaze travel to the open door with a look of curiosity. The boy noticed her look, but seemed suddenly uncomfortable. Leyla guessed there had to be a rule that prevented him from taking her inside. She decided to change track. "You never told me your name?"

"Its Adam, Consort."

"I see," she nodded. "Could I ask you a question, Adam?"

"Of course! I am at your service."

"The Prorex gave me this beautiful bracelet." She held up her wrist and the bracelet moved ever so slightly down her arm. "Since it's such a special piece, I was wondering if it might have been made by an alchemist?"

Adam took a step closer, nodding in admiration as he regarded the jewellery. "Indeed, Consort. This is definitely the work of a master alchemist. Not just anyone can handle these metals, you know?"

Leyla controlled her excitement and continued with a calm tone. "That's what I thought. The thing is, I was trying to take it off for a moment and could not find the clasp. Do you know how to remove it?"

"Remove it?" Adam looked surprised. "Did the Prorex not explain how an eternity bangle works?"

"He did," Leyla said quickly, "But I was so amazed by the beauty of the bracelet that I'm afraid I wasn't listening very well."

"Oh!" Adam covered a smile at what he must consider her foolishness. "Well I can tell you, Consort, you nee don't worry. You see, right there, that square with the faint rose-gold hue? That is rose ingot and is made of live elements that remember the fingerprint of the one who first touches it. So the metal that holds the bracelet together will not unfreeze unless the Prorex himself takes it off."