Chapter 44

It was warm.

Drowsy, Leyla turned, trying to burry closer to the source of the heat. Moving was a mistake. Pain shot through her head, dragging her the rest of the way out of the comfort of sleep.

White? Leyla blinked, trying to understand what she was looking at. She reached forward, touching the white material and feeling hard heat beneath.

"You're finally awake?"

She closed her eyes, embarrassment warring with relief. She was alive, she had not drowned in that blasted river; that was the good news. But, she also appeared to be lying on a bed, cuddling into Raphael's chest with his arms around her shoulders. Leyla chose to focus on the good news only: "How did I survive?"

Raphael stroked her hair gently as he spoke from above her head: "Michael dragged you out of the river. I had our doctors see to all your scrapes, but you had a nasty bruise on the back of your head which might take a few hours to stop aching, so it's best if you take it easy for a little while."

So Michael had heard her call after all. She would have to thank him. Leyla took a breath, her chest filling with Raphael's scent. She really aught to move, she knew that, but it felt so warm in his arms. Warm and safe. A world apart from the cold river.

"You scared me, Lieutenant," Raphael said softly.

Leyla's heart pick up its beat when he shifted her even closer into his arms.  

"What were you doing so close to the edge of the river when you can't swim?" 

The memory of Annabelle's smile brought a bitter taste to her mouth. "I was taking in the view, until your lovely Annabelle pushed me."

"Pushed you?" Raphael moved back so he could see her face."Annabelle was crying when you were brought back to the keep. She said she was close by when you fell, that she was walking over to warn you about the wet stones."

What a clever little story. Leyla was too tired to drum up any anger. "You don't have to believe me."

"Let her explain," Raphael cupped Leyla's cheek, running his thumb along her jaw and sending a shiver down her back. "I sent everyone away, but she refused to leave. She has been waiting outside for hours to see you. She insists on apologising for not warning you about the rocks."

So the would be murderer was still hanging around? There was no way she was talking to the madwoman. Leyla moved out of Raphael's hold, hating that a part of her wanted to go back to sleep in his arms. Telling herself to stop being an idiot she pushed the duvet back and froze at the sight of the nightgown on her body: "Who put this on me?"

Raphael sighed behind her. "I didn't think you'd appreciate me doing it, so Annabelle volunteered."

Maybe she wasn't too tired for anger after all. Her fingers itching for something to throw, Leyla looked around the chamber and was surprised yet again. The candle-lit room was not Raphael's. It had similarly painted ceilings and marble floors, but the colour of the settee, the pillows, the soft looking rugs were all done in shades of white and pale green.

"These are your apartments," Raphael said, guessing the reason behind her hesitation.

Her apartments. She turned back towards the Prorex who was now looking at her with concern and something that might have been affection.

"Raphael, can't you let me go?" Leyla asked quietly. "This situation was ridiculous before, but now that Annabelle wants me dead it's only grown worse. You say you know me, then you know I would not lie and that I would never make an oath lightly. I swear to you, here and now, that I will bring no danger to the Land of Light." She raised her wrist beseechingly, "If you just take this bracelet off of me."

Raphael's expression was unreadable as he got off the bed and straightened his wrinkled clothes. "First you get drunk, then you manage to fall into the river. It looks like I'm going to have to assign guards for your protection."

"Guards?" Disappointment knotted her stomach. What in Tevvuk's name had she expected?  "But, of course! Every prisoner needs guards to keep them in line, right?"

"You don't want to be shadowed, then stop thinking about leaving!" Raphael's own frustration was clear in his voice. He crossed over to the bedroom door, then turned back to her with his hand on the handle. "No one is trying to kill you. You are safe in this Kingdom. This is the only place you are safe and I want you to listen to Annabelle's explanation so that you can see that." Without waiting for a response, he opened the door and called for his mistress.

The blonde appeared a moment later, her eyes red and remorseful. She was an excellent actress, Leyla had to give her that.

"Consort, you're finally awake!" She moved, her skirts fluttering around her, adding to the image of soft innocence. "I've been so worried."

"Save your performance for the fool over there," Leyla folded her arms across her chest. "I'm not interested."

"Leyla!" Raphael's voice was full of warning, but she couldn't care less.

"I underestimated you, Annabelle." Leyla drew alongside the mistress who was now managing to look shocked. "But I wont do that again. The next time you touch me, I'll break your fingers."

"Lieutenant!"

She faced Raphael, her chin held high. "You want to send me guards? Go ahead. The soldiers here need training. I'll give them all a beating, maybe they'll learn a lesson or two."

Satisfied with the fuming anger in Raphael's eyes, Leyla crossed to the door, then turned. "Since these are my apartments, I expect you will both be gone by the time I'm back." Leaving the couple speechless, Leyla slammed out of the room in nothing but her nightgown.