Chapter 17

The shadows of the Rezeg birds rushed across the red sands of the Misty Desert as they flew in a v-formation. Leyla adjusted her hold on the reins to follow Jara in a dip towards the east.

"Did the Elder end up agreeing to trading with the Jade Palace?"  Raphael asked behind her. He hadn't said much since they left the Akrepa camp, had been so quiet in fact that she wondered if he might have fallen asleep. A while after the attackers fled, Jara ordered the Bird Riders to act as lookouts together with the Akrepa guards so most of the women took to their tents to sleep. Leyla had assumed Raphael did the same, but as the red orb of the sun crept over the sand dunes at dawn, she woke where she had fallen asleep beside the fire with the Prorex's coat over her shoulders. Had he stayed up all night?

"Yes, she agreed," Leyla said after a long moment had passed. "The tribe felt indebted for the rescue of Pashtu."

She felt him nod behind her, "So he does have a conscience."

"Who, the Mahsap?" Leyla's gaze shifted across the sky to where Jara's strong back leaned over Kigari's head.

"Yes, the Mahsap," Raphael grunted. "I thought his displeasure after the two of you were saying your farewells to the Elder was related to the Goddess Cloth, but it must have been a general low from failing in his calculations."

"Calculations?" Leyla asked, glad that Raphael couldn't see the colour seeping into her face. The Prorex did not have to know that during their farewell, the Elder had requested for Leyla leave him behind. The old woman had assumed, for some inexplicable reason, that Raphael belonged to Leyla and wanted to use Goddess Cloth to purchase him for her daughter. He would produce strong children, body and mind, the woman claimed.

"By accepting your help, the Mahsap put you in danger," Raphael explained, unaware of Leyla's wayward thoughts. "So it's natural that he wanted to diminish the possibilities of that danger by procuring Goddess Cloth for you. However, he did not calculate the risks that the voyage would entail. He misjudged the honour of the woman he goaded you into fighting and seeing how quickly the Akrepa women fell asleep after the attack, I'm willing to bet raids on their camp are not infrequent - another factor he did not consider. Never mind the chance of getting stung by one of those creatures, getting caught in sandstorm -"

"Prorex," Leyla cut him off. "Do you always worry so needlessly?"

He was silent for a moment, then his tone seemed amused. "You think I was worried about you?"

No, that was not what she meant. "I meant -"

"It's strange you should say so," it was his turn to cut her off.  "I know your strength well. I know those creatures, the attack and this hunt for the fiancé-killer are all well within your abilities." His hands were suddenly on her waist sending an unexpected shiver up her spine. "Yet still, I find myself grateful that you are wearing this." His fingers moved gently over her coat, feeling for the smooth Goddess Cloth underneath.

The loud horn announcing the Bird Rider's approach on the Jade Palace had Raphael's hands fall away from her waist. Leyla released a breath she didn't realize she was holding. What in Gaia?

"The news of the Mahsapa will have spread," the Prorex said. "Remember to stay alert, Lieutenant."

The golden pyramid appeared as they flew over the last sand dune. There, where sand met grass, was a large gathering of people standing around their landing spot. Was the murderer waiting for her? "Fret not, Prorex. I'll take you home in four days." 

After the last Rezeg bird landed, the stable boys rushed forward, ready to catch the reins the Bird Riders threw down. The crowd of at least one hundred was made up of curious guests, excited staff to some clearly unhappy women. One, two, three, four...Leyla counted at least a dozen sorrowful faces that were all fixed on the Mahsap who jumped from Kizari to face the waiting silence.

"Well, this is an unusual sight," Jara smiled his charming smile as he threw his helmet to a waiting stable boy. Then he was shaking out his auburn hair, his silver eyes running over the crowd before looking to Leyla. "They must be here to see you, Mik-Has."

Raphael stiffened for a split second, before he jumped from their Rezeg bird and held out his hands. Leyla didn't need help to get down, but she reminded herself that the Prorex had a reason for everything he did. This act was likely to solidify their familial bond in the eyes of the onlookers. Putting her hands on his shoulders, she felt his fingers encase her waist. Once again a strange heat spread from where he held her and in the next moment he had lifted her down easily. Giving him a strained smile, she turned to Jara and pushed away the strange feelings in order to concentrate.

Dozens of pairs of eyes watched her walk towards the Mahsap and she looked right back, scanning for faces with signs of heightened emotions. One particular woman who couldn't contain her tears stood out amongst the throng. She was a petite blonde, her floor-length bone-braided hair, proclaiming her to be from the SoSo tribe of the Grasslands. Tears were streaming silently from her face as a young girl and a tall man patted her arms, trying to console her.

"This isn't really the place to do it," Jara laughed as he took Leyla's hand, "but since so many have gathered, it is an opportune moment to introduce my soon-to-be wife, my Mahsapa La-La."

Leyla wasn't sure what she was expecting, but the sudden cheers took her by surprise. The Aqua people bent down on one knee, quickly followed by the rest of the crowd; it was the ultimate show of respect for Jara, who despite his womanising ways, was revered not only by his clan, but by all people of Asch.

"Mahsap. Mahsapa. May the Ghost Kings bless your union!" The good-wishes were repeated, over and over, until Jara raised their joined hands with a wide grin.

"Thank you all -" he began, then his words came to a halt as he was distracted by a running figure.

"Brother!" Asya parted the crowd with her strawberry tresses flowing behind her. She rushed past surprised faces until she was standing right in front of them. "Is it true? Is La-La going to be my sister?"

Leyla felt guilt gnaw at her as she attempted to smile at the excited girl who looked from Jara to her for confirmation. If only Asya was capable of controlling her tongue, then they would not have to keep the truth from her.

"Asya, your lack of manners is my biggest failure in life," Jara ruffled his sisters hair affectionately, obviously trying to avoid directly lying to her. Then he was looking over the top of her head towards the crowd. "Please, go back inside. My fiancé and I have a party to plan - to which you will all, of course, be invited!"

Another cheer followed that announcement, then people began to move.

"Oh, I'm so happy!" Asya shook Leyla's arms as she jumped in place. "This is the best news. The absolute best best best news." Then her eyes were scanning the birds behind them. "But where is my Ra-Fa-El?"

My Raphael. The words left an unpleasant feeling in Leyla's stomach. But why? Was she worried Asya was getting too caught up with the Prorex when their departure was inevitable? Yes, that made sense.

"Asya," Raphael approached at that moment. His steps were unhurried and his habitual smile was in place. Leyla noticed some of the female guests casting glances his way even as they walked back to the Jade Palace. Asya must have noticed too, because she was suddenly grabbing Raphael's arm with an expression that clearly said 'he belongs to me'.

"There you are, Ra-Fa-El! I missed you so much!"

"Asya!" Jara's warning tone did nothing to phase his sister who was now blinking up at Raphael's amused expression. Leyla frowned. He was obviously enjoying the attention; men were really all the same.

"We have things to do, Mahsap," she said suddenly, wanting to get on with the things that had to be done. Leyla needed Jara alone to ask him about the crying woman. Strong emotions led to strong actions.

"Yes, yes, you guys go ahead." Asya agreed immediately. "I'll take Ra-Fa-El to eat. Knowing you two, you probably didn't take a single break all day, so he must be exhausted."

Exhausted? Not likely, Leyla thought turning away from the group. Raphael was no weakling who needed to be pampered, even if he did look like a soft noble. No. Asya just had no idea. The Prorex was a man who could defeat four grown Warriors and jump into a portal to another world without blinking an eye.