Chapter 8

The guards at the door tipped their heads as Jara passed, then brought their fists to their chests. "Welcome back, Utan La-La!"

Leyla gave a curt nod to the boys she recognized as Sami and Topu. The latter usually worked the gaming tables at this hour; he must have made someone angry to be out here on door duty.

The men opened the double doors with big smiles, their free hands still at their hearts in Warrior salute.

"You trained the guards well," Raphael's tone was mocking behind her. Leyla chose to ignore him, her eyes on the sight in front of her.

The lobby looked exactly the way she had left it. The marble floors were squeaky clean, the crystal candle holders that hung from the high ceilings sparkled and there was a hint of warm sweet-spice in the air.

Her gaze drifted over the crowded lounge chairs; it was early in the day so most of the guests were enjoying fruit drinks and light snacks served by the well trained waiting staff. There was a young guard she didn't recognise standing inconspicuously near the potted plants on the far side of the gathering. Another guard, she recognised as Lola, was near the wide staircase at the back, nodding politely as people passed. A group of four were stationed beside the long desk where a girl waited to greet new guests and show them to their rooms.

Everything seemed under control.

"Looking for flaws in security, Lieutenant?" Raphael smiled beside her.

Leyla blinked, suddenly realising that she had been doing exactly that. "Apologies, I forgot this is an unfamiliar place for you," she kept her voice low as she pointed past the sitting areas to the four giant arched doors on either side of the chamber. "Those two doors lead to gaming rooms while the ones in the back - "

"Lead to the men's and women's bathhouses," the Prorex interrupted. Then he was smiling, "Michael drew a detailed map."

"Of course he did," Leyla mumbled feeling stupid for once again telling him things he knew.

"You don't need to worry about me, Lieutenant," Raphael spoke in a softer tone. "I told you, I'm finding this all fascinating."

"Utan La-La!" The petite blonde girl Leyla now recognized as one of her former trainees, called out from behind the long desk.

Suddenly everyone's attention was directed at Leyla. The waiting staff and guards who recognized her, stopped to raise their fists to their chests, while the guests looked on with surprise.

The pleasure in the employees faces at seeing her, made Leyla feel strange. In all the time she was on Asch, she had always known she would return to Gaia, so it had never felt like home. But this reception was...confusing. Clearing her throat, Leyla looked past the smiling girl: "Back straight, Marsa."

"Yes, Utan!" Marsa grinned. "Welcome back!"

The rest of the Jade Palace employees took up her cue: "Welcome back, Utan La-La!"

Jara looked over his shoulder at Leyla, his expression pleased, "It seems you have been missed."

Leyla felt her cheeks grow warm and frowned at Jara, "Weren't you thirsty, Mahsap? It would be best to hurry."

Jara laughed as he continued to walk past the desk.

"He likes to laugh, doesn't he?" Raphael muttered beside her, then when he caught Leyla's confused expression, his tone turned conversational: "That girl who called your name just now, she was wearing red feathers on her head, she's from the Ketatu tribe?"

"Yes," Leyla replied as they climbed the long stairs to the second floor. Jara led the way down the bright corridor, towards the largest of the green doors at the opposite end. "The Ketatu are grassland people. The women wear red feathers while the men paint their noses red to honour their fire god-"