Chapter 62

The training field was a short walk outside the inner keep walls on the opposite side of the river. Leyla took in the smattering of soldiers practicing sword fighting on the wide field and several dozen others who were eating under a tent at the far end. No one was running laps, no one was shouting orders. Where were the drill sergeants and officers in charge and why was no one telling the youngest looking recruit that he'd get his fingers chopped off if he held the sword in that manner?!

Leyla only noticed that Delphine had stopped walking when she was a few steps into the field. "Only Light Guards are allowed to enter the field," she warned.

Leyla nodded in understanding. "I won't be long. You should go back if you're uncomfortable."

"I'll keep watch incase I have to run for help," Delphine muttered making Leyla smile. It wouldn't come to that, but in the very unlikely case that the soldiers got violent, she would take the one with the highest rank hostage.

"It will be fine," Leyla assured her, then turned back to the field and marched towards the soldiers practicing sword play. They noticed her presence when she was within shouting distance, their expressions turning from surprise to anger when she drew near.

"Consort, this is not a place for women..." a black haired soldier with a scar on his chin spoke in clipped tones.

It had taken Leyla a few days of being in the Land of Light to figure out the Kingdoms' military coding. The soldiers all wore white uniforms with short jackets, high collars and silver belts. The officers carried slim swords and their ranks shown by the gems on the shoulder pads. This soldier had two blue gems; a low ranking officer.

"Officer, I have come to offer an apology."

"Apology?" The officer's voice rose an octave, his shocked expression reflected in the faces of the half a dozen soldiers around him. They had now attracted the attention of the rest of the guard under the tents; many of them put down their forks and knives as they watched. "With all due respect, Consort, you can't apologise. The Prorex made it clear that since the punishment was carried out, we are to consider the incident erased."

Leyla's eyes hardened at the bitter tone in the officer's voice. "You've misunderstood. I'm not here to apologise for things I haven't done. What I did do, was neutralise the two guards who came to restrain me on the stage. They were doing as they were instructed and due to circumstances, I had to attack without warning." She scanned the faces of the soldiers under the tents, raising her voice. "I've come to give those two soldiers a chance to retaliate."

This announcement produced some comical expressions of shock while the officer spluttered. "You can't be serious! Light Guards don't fight women!"

Leyla snorted at the bias. For all that the land was enlightened, they had some incredibly backwards notions about the sexes. Stepping closer to the officer, she lowered her voice so that only he could hear her next words. "I can imagine what you think of me, so why don't you indulge my request? You've been told you can not seek retribution for what was done to the two night guards, but at least the ones who were on stage yesterday will get a chance to embarrass me."

The officer gave her a hard look. "I don't know what you're playing at, Consort, but have it your way." He turned to the tent, barking orders. "Reuben! Felix! Into the ring, now!"

The soldiers under the tent flooded onto the field, forming a large circle five men thick around Leyla and the officer. Then, the two guards she recognised from the previous day walked into the ring, carrying long thin swords in their hands.

"The Consort would like to give you two the chance to fight her fairly since she attacked you without warning yesterday. She says she can fight, so why don't you two show her some basics?" Sniggers sounded from around the circle. Reuben and Felix did not indulge in the hilarity. Leyla could tell by the barely restrained anger in their eyes that they were looking forward to getting back at her.