Chapter 66

The rain had stopped by the time Leyla came out of the place she had come to think of as the Underground City. The other council members had remained behind to attend yet more meetings while she was moving forward with her new task. 

A smile curved the corner of her lips. Raphael, the General and even the Minister of Defence trusted her to take over the training of a group of fifty new recruits. She was to develop a training plan which, if it should succeed, would be replicated across the Light Army! Her head buzzing with ideas, Leyla moved out from beneath the shelter of the scientists halls and onto the long bridge connecting to the Dome.

"You must be so pleased, Colonel."

Leyla halted, surprised to see Annabelle approaching from the opposite direction. She was on her own, her delicate white gown trailing over the newly dried bridge as she walked. This was the first time they were coming across each other since the trial and until this moment Leyla had managed to put the woman out of her mind.

"It's been a while," Leyla slowed her step, her mood taking a turn for the worse. If she was going to remain in this Kingdom, this was a problem she needed to address.

"It has been a while." Annabelle stopped a foot away, playing with a loose curl. "Long enough, in fact, that I was hopeful you had crawled back into the pit you came out from."

Civil. Be civil. Leyla forced a smile, but she didn't think she could keep the act on for long. It was probably better to leave this for a day where she felt more patient. "If that's all, I have things to do."

Annabelle raised her arm to block Leyla's way, her beautiful face distorted with fury. "Now that you've been allowed into the restricted area, you think you've won, don't you?" Her laugh was ugly as she pushed at Leyla's shoulder. "Don't fool yourself. You are not one of us! You will never be one of us and I will make sure Raphael sees just how worthless you really are."

"Don't touch me, Annabelle." Leyla's hands balled into fists as she tried to control her temper. She was close, very close to giving in and pushing back. "It won't end well."

"End well? But, it will end well, just not for you!" Annabelle laughed again. Then after a quick look around, she threw herself forward, landing with a dramatic thud at Leyla's feet.

Bloody Diya! "What are you doing?" She picked the woman up, seeing a few passing servants now looking their way. "Can you not even stand straight anymore?"

The look Annabelle gave her as she held out the blade she had stolen from Leyla's boot was pure malice. "Now look what I've got here."

"Give that back before you hurt yourself," Leyla frowned.

Annabelle tilted her head this way, then that, before raising her voice. "No, please Consort! I didn't mean to upset you!"

More onlookers gathered, taking a few steps closer to them while a servant scampered off looking panicked. Leyla's eyes narrowed. "It doesn't matter what kind of theatrics you pull, do you really think you can hurt me? I'm a trained soldier, Annabelle."

"No, please! Just let me pass!" Annabelle raised herself slowly while holding the knife out threateningly between them.

What in Four Kingdoms was she trying to do? "Annabelle, I'm warning you one last time. Give me the knife or I will be forced to take it from you."

The woman blinked rapidly, suddenly looking contrite. "You are right. This is a little dangerous, isn't it?" She looked beyond Leyla's shoulder, nodding in resignation. "Alright. Just take it."

The change in attitude was strange, but Leyla was willing to take what she could in order to finish this drama. She stretched out her hand, taking a step closer. The glint in Annabelle's eye was the only warning sign before the blonde twisted the blade and pushed herself forward.

Leyla sucked in a breath as Annabelle's head touched her shoulder for a brief moment before the woman staggered back. The hilt of the blade was now jutting out from Annabelle's side, blood oozing from the wound and drenching her dress crimson.

"What have you done?" Leyla took a stunned step forward. "What in Four Kingdoms have you done?"

"Help!" The pain in Annabelle's voice was genuine as she called out to the people rushing onto the bridge. Leyla watched as a guard held a group back from approaching, while two other guards rushed towards them in panic.

"Lady Annabelle! Call the medic, Lady Annabelle was stabbed!" One of them shouted.

Leyla felt numb as she watched the display in front of her. Finally, her mind started to click into gear. "Check the depth of the wound. If it's not too deep, it will be quicker to carry her."

Annabelle let out a gasp, then grabbed at clothes of the guard beside her. "Please, please keep her away from me!"

The second guard looked at Leyla, his eyes uncertain. "Colonel, please move back."

"Annabelle?"

Leyla turned at Raphael's voice just as he rushed past her and knelt beside the injured woman.

"Don't worry, it's not deep," he spoke soothingly as he checked the wound. Then he was shouting across the bridge to a group of newly arrived guards. "Move everyone aside, now!" He was back to looking at Annabelle, his voice gentle. "I will carry you to the medical room now. Everything will be fine."

"Raphael," Annabelle reached for his face, beads of perspiration breaking out across her forehead. "Please protect me from her. I'm scared."

Raphael followed her gaze to Leyla, his eyes void of emotion.

The guard who had arrived first on sight spoke up. "The Colonel stabbed Lady Annabelle. What should we do, Leader?"

Leyla wanted to protest her innocence, but what could she say? That Annabelle stabbed herself? Who would believe her when she could hardly believe it herself. She looked to Raphael, hoping to see some warmth in his expression, some doubt even, but there was nothing.

"Take her to the dungeons."

A frost settled in her chest as the guards moved forward to obey his order.  Leyla didn't protest when they held her arms, she just watched Raphael's rigid back as he lifted Annabelle in his arms.

Her guards pushed forward to get her to move. She took a step, then turned back one last time. Raphael was looking down at Annabelle as he walked.

"Everything is going to be alright," he kept telling her.

Leyla touched the material above her heart. Would everything be alright? Raphael couldn't really believe that she would do something like this. Hadn't he proven his trust in her today? That couldn't have been a lie. Right?

"Let's go," her guard said gruffly, though he couldn't seem to meet her eyes.

Leyla moved, the fight having left her completely. If Raphael knew her even a tiny bit, he would know she didn't do this. This time, she had to trust him, she had to believe he had a plan.

Although it wasn't easy when she was on her way to the dungeons.