Chapter 7

Raphael stepped out of the balloon, his gaze rising higher and higher in an attempt to see the top of the pyramid ahead of them. He had been silent for the past hour, taking in Asch without comment. Even their rocky descent hadn't produced any outward signs of discomfort...

"Stop worrying, I am finding this all fascinating." Raphael's wry tone had Leyla shifting her gaze to the Jade Palace. By Tevvuk's beard, how could the man always tell what she was thinking?

Determined to get on with it, Leyla walked forward, taking in the familiar facade of the place she had lived and worked in for half a dozen years. The golden surface of the establishment shone in the afternoon sun, the twin stone Rezeg birds at its entrance casting long shadows that almost touched her feet from where she stood 20 sword-lengths away. Sand dunes pushed up against the back of the building, spilling around the sides and trickling into the fresh green grass that grew against the front walls.

The Jade Palace. For her it had only been a handful of days since she walked out of those very doors with Michael, but for everyone here, several years had gone by.

Two men on horses pulled up at the front entrance and guards that had been standing beneath the beaks of the Rezeg birds moved forward. She couldn't make out their faces, but she watched as they checked the customers for weapons while a boy rushed over from the stables and took the horses by the bridles. The process took mere seconds, and both horses and customers were out of sight with minimal fuss. It was nice to see that the protocols she established when she was in charge of security were still in place.

Suddenly a low horn sounded from the other side of the pyramid. One long blast, followed by two short ones; it was the signal for Bird Riders!

"Hold on," Leyla held out her arm to stop Raphael from going any further.

He followed her gaze to the sky. The horizon beyond the large sand dunes looked clear, "Was that the signal for approaching Rezeg birds?"

"Yes," she nodded.

Six boys with long leather gloves and headgear rushed out from the stables just as the riders appeared over the sand dunes. Even from this distance, Leyla could see the golden bridle of the bird at the front. "Kizari," she said the bird's name with fondness.

"Is he the one at the front?" Raphael asked, watching the fleet approach. Giant wings pushed at the air with incredible speed, bringing the Bird Riders ever closer.

"Yes," Leyla nodded again, feeling strangely nervous now that her old superior was almost within shouting distance. It only took a few more seconds and then the Rezeg birds were raising their bright green heads and extending their enormous claws for landing.

Long reins came flying down the sides of the animals and into the waiting stable boys' hands as orange talons touched grass. The Riders jumped off, patting the beaks of their steeds before moving in the direction of the Jade Palace.

Jara was the last one to dismount. His winged helmet caught the sun and turned a burning gold as he patted Kizari's beak with black gloved hands. Leyla couldn't see his eyes from this distance, nor could she make out his expression, but his movements were so familiar she could predict his every step. Red uniform, short cape, black boots; she had seen him dressed this same way more times than she could count. What was this strange, almost sad feeling?

"CAAARK!" Kizari let out a sudden high pitched screech. Then he jerked his reins free and broke into a run.

"Kizari!" Jara and his men gave chase, while the stable boys struggled to calm the other birds.

"Leyla?" There was suppressed tension in Raphael's voice and no wonder, the loose Rezeg bird was running right at them.

"He will not hurt anyone," she reassured the Prorex, then stepping forward, raised her right hand with her palm facing forward.

Only a swords length away now, Kizari skidded to a halt and shrieked once more. The guards at the palace door stepped forward with swords drawn, but halted at her sharp command: "RUD!"

Jara, his men, the guards at the door...everyone froze. Leyla could feel their eyes on her, but she did not take her own gaze from the bird. "Calm, now. Calm. I missed you, old friend."

Towering over her, the Rezeg bird blinked its large red eyes, then bowed its head, pushing its forehead into her palm.

"La-la!"  Jara was beside Kizari now, his eyes wide with shock. "It is you."

"It's me," she agreed, her lips curling at his daft expression. She couldn't remember the high and mighty Jara ever looking quite so bewildered.

"And you are smiling?" His surprise was turning into anger, though why, she couldn't fathom. Leyla gave the rough feather's on Kizari's forehead a calming stroke.

"You're anger will agitate the bird," Leyla admonished gently.

"Good!" Jara grimaced while pulling off his helmet and shaking free thick auburn hair. "Then maybe he will bite you. That would teach you a lesson."

Leyla's brows rose in amusement, "I'm worried he may bite you, Mahsap."

"Don't you Mahsap me!" He turned to throw his helmet to his men and found them all grinning, ear to ear. "And what are you lot so pleased about?"

The Bird Riders straightened immediately and for a moment Leyla thought they were going to apologise, but they all thumped their chests instead. "Welcome back, Utan La-La!"

It was Leyla's turn to look disconcerted, which seemed to appease Jara. His steel grey eyes full of warmth, he raised his fist to his chest. "Yes, welcome back, La-la."

"Thank you." She raised her hands in formal greeting, then cleared her throat to dispel the strange feeling in her chest. "Mahsap, please let me introduce my tribesman, Rafael." She tugged at the material of Raphael's shirt to bring him forward, then let go when she noticed both men staring at her hand. Jara was frowning. The Prorex seemed amused, but then, when was he not?

Raphael made a formal bow. "Pleased to make your acquaintance, Mahsap."

Jara eyed Raphael with curiosity. "I suppose your tribesman does not speak Asch, just like you did not when we first met?"

"Yes, Mahsap." Leyla said.

"Welcome, Ra-Fa-El." Jara returned the formal greeting, then he turned back to Leyla. "And where is that trouble maker May-Kal?"

Leyla thought of Michael. Would he have heard about the events that took place at the Green Lands and Warrior Kingdom? He must be worried, but at least he was safe. "My brother is home, Mahsap."

"Home?" Jara repeated, his expression falling. Then he was smiling once more as he pointed towards the entrance of the Jade Palace. "Well come in then, you look like you have things to ask and I desperately need some vela."

Vela? Leyla's eyes went wide at the thought, prompting Jara's laughter.

"It's good to know some things have not changed," he grinned, before heading into the Palace.