Chapter 45

Walking quickly, she took the stairs down one floor, then knocked on Michael's door. If he dragged her out of the water, he must have gotten soaked himself. He used to catch colds frequently on Asch...damn it, why had she let those idiots distract her when she should have been thinking about Michael's health? 

The Book Keeper opened the door, her eyes skimming over Leyla's nightgown in surprise.

"Is Michael here?" Leyla asked. 

The older woman was waving her in before she could finish her question: "I was hoping you'd come. He has been wearing the rugs thin since the Prorex ordered him to rest."

Leyla nodded her thanks, "I'm sorry for turning up like this - I'll be just a moment." She managed to take two steps into the apartments before the Book Keeper placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Lieutenant. How did you fall into the river?"

Leyla hesitated for a fraction of a second, then she turned back to the woman. "I was pushed."

The Book Keeper was silent, her expression giving nothing away. "Did you tell the Prorex?"

"He didn't believe me," Leyla said simply.

The older woman sighed. "It is the first time since his birth that I've seen Raphael doubt his own judgement."

"Doubt his own judgement?" Leyla repeated.

"Don't worry, this will not last long. The truth is always revealed in the end." The Book Keeper smiled.

Leyla hesitated not quite sure what she meant, "Do you believe me?"

"Yes."

"Then, why don't you ask who..." Leyla saw the look on the Book Keeper's face and understood: "You already know."

Michael's mother clasped her hands together. "Book Keepers are collectors of information. Accumulating knowledge without passing judgment is what we do." 

A sudden thought hit Leyla, "Book Keeper, do you know who my parents are?"

"You're parents?" she repeated, looking regretful. "You must find out about them from the Leader."

So the Book Keeper knew about her parents, but she wouldn't say, probably because she also knew the Leader was using that information to blackmail Leyla. Looking down at her wrist, she wondered if the Book Keeper also knew about the bracelet. Probably. Leyla doubted that anything happened in the Light Kingdom without the woman's knowledge.

For a moment, Leyla wondered if there was something she could do or say to get the woman to open up, but she let go of the notion. She had witnessed enough No Lander interrogations to be able to tell who would spill secrets and who wouldn't. Michael's mother was not a woman who could be cajoled into betrayal. Her purpose in life was defined by her allegiance to the Leader and although Leyla wished it were otherwise, as a Warrior, she understood that kind of loyalty.

"I'll go see Michael now. He will want to gloat for saving my life."

The Book Keeper smiled. They understood each other well.