Chapter 9

Once Raphael agreed to take a look around with Asya, Leyla followed the Mashap to his rooms. Beyond plush settees and a beautifully carved work table, the ceiling to wall glass walls of Jara's office looked out over the sloping grasslands. There were two doors, one to the left that led to his sleeping quarters and one to the right that led to a private bath. Only three rooms in the entirety of the Jade Palace had private baths attached to them; Jara's, Asya's and the room down at the opposite end of the hall, where she had lived with Michael.

"What deaths was Asya speaking of?" Leyla asked, when Jara didn't look as though he was going to speak.

He ignored her and moved over thick white rugs to the peer at the papers on his desk. Leyla had spent long hours in this chamber discussing security procedures with the man who now leaned back on his table and folded his arms across his chest. She was familiar with the stubborn look that crept into his steely grey eyes.

"Me first?" She asked.

Jara nodded.

"Alright," she agreed, "What do you want to know, Mahsap?"

"Explain the outfit." He gestured to her apparel.

"There was an accident and Mahsap Deri provided us with clothing."

Auburn brows rose with surprise, "You saw my brother? Why?"

It was Leyla's turn to go silent. Beyond the window, bright pink nook birds circled each other as the moments ticked away.

"Alright, fine!" Jara gave up, "You are so damned stubborn."

Look who's talking, Leyla thought with some amusement. "Now please, tell me what is going on."

"My father issued a decree a few moon cycles ago," Jara began. "The family has finally decided to support Deri as Overseer of the Aquafarms."

"That is good news." Leyla knew the Da Su's had not been pleased when Jara didn't take up the oldest son's role as ruler of the Aquafarms after reaching his majority. His attempt to build the Jade Palace met with much resistance and his desire for Deri, the second son, to be Overseer had been refused repeatedly. But now, after seeing how well Jara had done for himself and how much the Jade Palace improved the lot of all Aschians, the family was obviously ready to compromise.

"It is good news," Jara agreed, "but it comes with a condition: I must marry."

Marriage? Her mind conjured up the image of a strong neck and a black circle, but Leyla suppressed the thought and focused on the man in front of her. Aside from being brilliant and hardworking, Jara was also a serious womaniser. In the six years she had lived in the Jade Palace, Leyla had seen him with a legion of women...although admittedly, none of them had stuck. "So pick one of your women and marry her. What is the problem?"

Jara blinked a few times, before he burst out with laughter. "I've missed the way you talk, La-La." Then he dragged a hand through his hair and sighed. "Actually, I did exactly as you suggested. I picked the most respectable of the women I've been...friendly with, and got engaged. Unfortunately she died. And so did my fiancé after her."

"Died?" Leyla blinked. He had been engaged twice and both women had died? "How did they die, exactly?"

"One accidentally ate poisoned berries and the other fell off of a skittish horse." His face grim, Jara looked out over the grasslands. "Someone killed them, I'm sure of it, but there are just too many possibilities to even begin knowing where to look."

Jara was right. The Jade Palace had opened up opportunities for miners from the Crags and tribespeople from the dessert and grasslands to come together without the need of middlemen. The bartering that happened here enriched many communities, but took money out of the pockets of those who used to control all the trade. From disgruntled merchants to abandoned women, those who might wish to harm Jara were too many to tackle at once.

It was obvious what needed to be done. A new fiancé had to be used to draw the killer out. But Jara Da Su was not the kind of man who would risk an innocent life; he would rather forfeit his father's deal.

"Let's get married."

Jara's eyes flew to her face, his jaw slack. "Excuse me?"

"You will announce our engagement," Leyla explained, unsure why he was being so dramatic. "The killer will come for me and I will catch him. It will be over in a few days."

Jara narrowed his eyes, "You think I will let you risk your life like that?"

Leyla frowned in confusion, "Mahsap, you will be risking nothing, as I will not be in danger."

"Hah!" Jara laughed, crossing his arms over his chest once more, "You've gotten arrogant over the years!"

I've only been gone for a few days, Leyla thought. "It's not arrogance, it is confidence. Two murders, one disguised as poisoning and the other an accident means one thing: the killer is a coward."

When Jara did not speak, Leyla pushed her advantage. "Let me help you, Mahsap. Michael and I lived well for many years under your roof, this is a chance for me to repay you."

"You earned your keep, La-La." Jara frowned, "And don't think I've forgotten that you left behind every coin you made, the day you disappeared."

She could hardly have made use of Aschian currency in Gaia. Leyla was saved from having to explain herself by the sudden knocking.

The Mahsap took brisk steps to the door then came back holding two cups of hot black liquid. All of her thoughts flew out of her mind as the scent of the vela reached her nose.

"As promised," Jara held out one of the cups and Leyla took it readily, savouring the warmth radiating from the brightly painted clay glass. Jara put his own drink on the desk, then turned to reach for her arm.

"Mahsap?" She shot him a quizzical look, but didn't protest as he removed the golden bracelet from her wrist.

"I can't have my fiancé wearing my brother's bracelet, now can I?" He put the bracelet in the top drawer of his table then winked, "Don't worry I'll give you something better."

Leyla wanted to protest that she wanted nothing from him, but she was distracted by his words: My fiancé. She took a sip of the pleasantly bitter drink as her thoughts moved to her other fake fiancé. She had promised Raphael that she would take him home as quickly as possible, but now Leyla would have to ask him to stay for a few days. Would he be understanding?