Chapter 3

Leyla followed Raphael's gaze to the five-story palatial structure in the middle of the island. Made from pink-veined marble, the entire ground floor was composed of gilded arches and life-sized statues of Rezeg birds. It was a Navrek Yaras, one of the residences of the Da Su family, who owned all of the Aquafarms in Asch. Leyla had heard plenty of rumours about the paradise-like homes from guests of the Jade Palace, but had never seen one until now.

"It's a Navrek Yaras," Leyla said. Raphael nodded, obviously familiar with the term, then started walking towards the building.

The Leader of the Pond Protectors had reached the main entrance and was speaking to a girl in pink silks. From the way she kept her hands folded in front of her, Leyla guessed she was a servant. The girl bobbed her head several times before rushing off just as they approached.

"This way," the leader of the Protectors smiled, pointing through the arch.

They followed the Protectors past the arches, then onto a marble path that surrounded a magnificent courtyard filled with fountains, exotic birds in gold cages and short trees ripe with sweet fruits. Leyla took note of the dozens of rooms that surrounded the manicured gardens and the lack of landings on the higher floors. That meant the stairs had to be inside the rooms themselves, which implied each living quarter actually had five floors.

Laughter rose from a corner of the courtyard where Leyla could make out two couples chatting and eating fruits. More people loitered in different parts of the garden, some on swing chairs, others just taking leisurely strolls; there were at least ten nobles and at least twice as many servants going about their business.

"Where's the rest of their clothing?" Raphael muttered beside her.

"Hmm?" Leyla regarded his disapproving expression in confusion. The Aqua-women wore short-sleeved tops that left their stomachs bare and skirts with slits that rose all the way up their legs. The Aqua-men wore semi-sheer shirts with deep-v cuts that exposed their chests almost down to heir navels with loose fitting trousers. True, the outfits left little to imagination and likely offended Raphael's Light Lander notions of propriety, but wearing more would have been uncomfortable in this place. "This heat persists through the year on the Aqua-Islands, so the outfits are practical."

A grunt was Raphael's only response as they followed the Protectors around the perimeter of the courtyard. Soon they stopped and servants in pink flowing dresses rushed forward with wooden trays laden with neatly folded materials. The Protectors opened two doors and stood aside while their Leader spoke to Leyla: "Please change before meeting the Mahsap."

Leyla nodded then turned to Raphael to translate, but he was already moving towards the second room, the servants who carried his clothes following on his heals. Catching her surprised look, he raised his brows at the door. "We can't appear in front of the owner looking like this, right?" He motioned for her to enter the other room, "Go. I'll see you in a moment."

She kept forgetting how good he was at reading situations. "Alright." Leyla walked into the chamber, following a line in the ground where water flowed over little white rocks until it joined a large circular pool at the centre of the room. Bright light filtered through the wooden panels in front of the outer windows, illuminating the smooth green-crystal furniture dotted across the space. Leyla recognised the green crystal as Tumuz, one of the many stones the Crag People mined.

The servants came in behind her, leaving trays on a flat surface beside the pool. "Please take a bath Utan, then we will help you change and put up your hair." They indicated the third tray which had an array of Tumuz hairpins.

Leyla drew in a quick breath as her hand rose to the back of her head. Gone. Alec's hairpin had drifted away in the pond and she had not noticed until this moment. She straightened her back, remembering Raphael's words: We are alive. The rest is insignificant.

"There's no need to stay, I will see to myself." Leyla told the waiting girls.

Then as they began to leave, she called out again: "Please inform my companion's attendants that he too can dress himself."