Chapter 35

In a chamber that rivalled the size of Jara's combined rooms in Jade Palace, Raphael sat behind an enormous desk with papers and books stacked across its surface. Despite wearing a white silk shirt that opened in a deep V over his chest, he was not nearly as scantily dressed as the woman lounging on his bed on the other side of the room. With only a silk robe and a thin strapped camisole to cover her body, the blonde was lying on her stomach, curling her fingers in her tresses with a bored look.

Leyla took in the view for a surprised moment, trying to understand what she was seeing. Raphael looked to be in perfect health, her worry was obviously unnecessary. But then... why hadn't he returned to the White Gardens like he said he would and what exactly what she interrupting here?

Leyla's presence was noticed before any ideas of leaving quietly could form in her jumbled mind.

"What are you doing here?" Raphael looked surprised as he put down the pen in his hand.

For some reason she didn't want to admit to having been worried. "I should ask you that, Prorex. You left the White Gardens saying you would return the same evening, yet here you are." She cast a glance towards the woman on the bed who didn't seem the least bit perturbed at being caught with someone else's fiancée. Ah, was that it? 

Was that the reason why Leyla was suddenly feeling angry? Because he was her fiancée and should be, what, loyal to her? Ridiculous. Their engagement wasn't real. In fact, it might even be over already. "I see you are busy, but I'd appreciate a moment of your time. I have a few things I'd like to discuss with you."

Raphael frowned, then turned back to his papers dismissively. "It's late. We can speak in the morning."

She blinked in surprise. Was he dismissing her? Leyla had spent the last two days lying to the entirety of the White Gardens just to keep up the pretence of their engagement, but he couldn't give her five minutes?

The mocking smile on his mistresses face was the last straw. 

"Since you don't have time to speak to me, I'll take it that our engagement has ended and won't disturb you further." Giving him a curt nod she turned on her heels.

"Wait." Raphael said before she had taken a step towards the door. She heard papers shuffling behind her then he spoke again: "Goodnight Arabella."

Arabella. So that was the blondes name? Leyla imagined the woman wasn't pleased with the turn of events and felt unexpectedly satisfied. It wasn't that she cared what Raphael did with his mistress, but the malice she had seen in the woman's eyes earlier grated.

Arabella walked past her without a glance, then closed the door behind her with a soft click. Leyla couldn't help but feel impressed by the demonstration of self control, especially at this moment when she felt like throwing things around. By the Waters of Asch, what's wrong with me?

"Go ahead, what is it you want to say?" The Prorex asked.

Leyla took a breath and counted to three. Why had Raphael turned back into an arrogant jerk? Where in Four Kingdoms did the guy who fell off a rooftop to save her disappear to?

That thought instantly calmed her anger. She remembered Raphael's expression right before he pushed her into Jara's arms; his sad smile when he told her to take care of Michael for him. 

No. There was something she was missing. Raphael didn't behave this way. This was not the real Raphael. This was the man he pretended to be when she first met him. Was he trying to push her away again, like he had then? But why? Did he think she would cling to him because of everything they went through?

Leyla turned slowly, surprised to find him back at work with his papers. There was something going on for sure, something Raphael wasn't saying, but she wouldn't let that stop her from what she needed to say: "Thank you."

Raphael's hand stilled, the pen frozen for a moment in mid air. "You defied my order to wait for me in the White Gardens and disturbed me at this hour, to thank me? Doesn't that seem counter productive?"

"I don't know what gives you the impression you can order me -" Leyla swallowed her annoyance,  convinced now that he was deliberately goading her. Taking another deep breath she tried again: "Thank you for saving me at the Jade Palace. I'm sorry you had to suffer because of me."

Raphael finally looked up, one brow raised as he pushed back from the table. "I made a miscalculation and fell over the side of the building. That is hardly something to thank me for." When he walked around the desk, her eyes were drawn to the loose silk outfit that billowed gracefully with his every step. They had to be his bed clothes, Leyla realised with some embarrassment.

"Is that all you had to say?" Raphael leaned back against the table, folding his arms over the muscles of his exposed chest.

She cleared her throat. Alright, so now that she had thanked him, she would ask about ending their engagement. Perhaps if realised she had no intention of backing out of their deal, he would go back to being normal. "Have you spoken to the Leader?"

"About?"

Calm, Leyla, just stay calm; he must have his reasons. "Did you not ask him to end our engagement?"

Raphael looked away. "He wouldn't listen."

"He wouldn't listen?" Leyla stepped forward, following him as he rounded the desk once more. "What do you mean he wouldn't listen? You have to make him! Now that I'm back, won't he try to force the wedding? We have to end this quickly."

"I can not force him to listen, he is the Leader." Raphael said simply, picking up a brown leather book.

Leyla grabbed the book from him, slamming it down on the table. What in Gaia was he trying to do? Wasn't all this big bastard behavior to make sure she didn't suddenly want to marry him?She was showing him she was on his side, why was he getting even more annoying? "Didn't you say you were going to end this? We had an agreement and I will stick to it. Just break this engagement and I will leave just as I promised. I'll go to find my father and you can marry whoever you please!"

Raphael raised his brow again in that haughty look she was coming to hate. "The Leader will be having breakfast tomorrow shortly after dawn. Feel free to join us and do your best to convince him."

So that was it? He wanted her to prove that she wouldn't cling to him?

"Fine!" Leyla stormed off, making it all the way to the door before Raphael's voice reached her.

"The rooms next-door have been prepared for the Prorex's consort. You should get some rest."

"I'm no one's consort." Leyla growled over her shoulder then slammed the door behind her. The sound echoed across the crystal hallways, doing little to dissipate her anger. Walking past the ornate door that led into the apartments beside Raphael's, she took the stairs down to the next floor and knocked on Michael's door.

It was the Book Keeper who answered, her eyes lighting with surprise when she saw Leyla. "Lieutenant, I mean Lady Alessa. Would you like to come in?"

"I don't mean to disturb, I was looking for Michael."

"And he was looking for you. He left this morning, I imagine he should be in the White Gardens by now." The older woman smiled, then she was motioning her in. "You look tired dear. Come in and let us have something warm to drink."

Something warm to drink?

"Do you have a sword instead?"

The Book Keeper burst out with surprised laughter, then moved aside to let Leyla in.