Chapter 12

[a/n Sorry if I killed any of you guys with the last chapter; I loved the comments though, oops. This chapter is dedicated to the lovely kellic_pls03 because we are friends now. Also, please be aware that this chapter contains some sensitive material, so be careful when you're reading! Enjoy, and comment everywhere!

It's okay to hate me for my choice of media/song of this chapter. I hate me too.]

Song Of The Chapter: "World Turn" by Copeland

"Now you can feel the world move slow

If you lay down on your back and wait,

And suddenly you're home

And the waves will just keep crashing on your back

Until you're finally covered over

And you felt the world turn

And you felt the world turn its back on you."

Kellin's POV

For a moment, time stood still the way it did before. It was like I was sleepwalking, and nothing that was happening was real. Katelynne and I had halted mid-argument, and the only sound in the house was the eerie music from Copeland's video still playing downstairs. The silence was deafening.

"Oh my god!" Katelynne screamed, her words cutting deep. We both snapped out of our trances and ran for the stairs. I gripped the railing tightly as I gingerly took the first few steps, but my heart ceased beating and flew into my throat at the sight at the bottom of the stairs.

My sweet, innocent baby girl sprawled motionless in white shorts and a Blue's Clues t-shirt. I could see a strip of soft skin where the shirt was riding up. There was no blood, but her small back was missing the reassuring rise and fall that I'd been so desperately hoping for.

"No, no, no, oh please, no, no," Katelynne wailed, and I realized that while I'd been standing frozen in horror, she had descended to where Copeland lay still. Katelynne cradled our limp daughter in her arms, tears streaming down her face and dripping onto Copeland's pale skin.

"Don't just stand there! Do something!" Katelynne yelled, and I sprang into action. I grabbed my cell phone and stood beside my broken child and distraught wife. Katelynne was delicately performing CPR that she was taught back in the parenting courses, trying to get our girl breathing again.

"M-my daughter, she fell d-down the stairs and blacked out. We live on the corner of 4th and Freemont, p-please hurry," I told them.

"Sir, we have dispatched an ambulance. If she won't wake up, it's likely that a severe hematoma has occurred. This means that blood vessels have burst in her brain and are pushing the tissue. Breathe in, breathe out. The chemicals can bring her home again," the operator assured me.

"T-thanks, my wife is performing CPR. She isn't breathing," I choked out.

"Is there a pulse?" the operated questioned. I carefully pressed two fingers to the side of Copeland's neck, searching in vain for a weak heartbeat.

"N-no, oh god, there isn't," I cried, my body beginning to shake violently.

"Sir, you must remain calm for your daughter. The ambulance is on its way, so have your wife keep performing CPR, and call right back if she begins bleeding externally or having convulsions," the operator instructed before hanging up. The sobs were making my shoulders shudder, and I knelt down to hold Copeland's tiny hand as Katelynne continued trying to help her breathe.