Chapter 5 - What I Can Learn

3rd Person 

The training grounds of the temple were largely barren. Aside from a large expanse of stone that formed a courtyard, the grounds were home to an ancient tree. Eons old, the bygone uneti tree was said to have once grown at the original Jedi temple. The tree both symbolized the long-lived history of the order, as well as its future. At the base of the Great Tree, Jedi Master Adi Gallia meditated in a state of serenity... whilst waiting for her Padawan to arrive.

Adi POV

A proper Jedi never allowed their feelings to sway them; I knew this well. Yet, as I witnessed the boy become overcome with emotion after I had agreed to teach him, I was unable to prevent a smile from reaching my lips. Happiness had welled up inside of me, and I didn't stop it. It was unlike me, so much so that I had surprised myself. 

I wouldn't let it happen again. 

Softly, I whispered to myself the code I had been raised to follow.

'There is no emotion, there is peace.There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.There is no passion, there is serenity.There is no chaos, there is harmony.There is no death, there is the Force.'

Last night, I informed the council of my decision to train (y/n) (l/n). The announcement had been met with some outcry, whether it be out of fear for the boy's safety... or fundamentalism. 

It must have been the most controversial Padawan selection since... well, since Skywalker. In any case, I wasn't entirely steadfast in my choice. 

My better judgement told me it was a bad idea, that (l/n) was simply unfit to be a Jedi. Maybe it was only curiosity, but my instincts told me otherwise. 

'Well, he should be arriving soon.' I thought.

(y/n) POV

For most, waking at the hour of 5:00 was a tall order. For me, it was Primeday, Centaxday, Taungsday, Zhellday, and Benduday. Apparently Master Gallia operated similarly, as prior to leaving me in the underworld, she had clearly stated these words:

'Your training begins tomorrow at 5:30. Meet me at the training grounds.'

Sure enough, there she was, sitting peacefully beside the Great Tree. I approached her quietly so as to not disturb the Master, but she sensed me anyway. Opening her eyes, the Tholothian Jedi spoke.

"You're on time. Good, let's begin." 

"Yes, Master." I responded with a bow. Master Gallia then unveiled a cloth pouch.

"First, a basic test of your affinity with the force." she voiced, revealing a collection of multicolored jewels. My heart sank. This is where the pain begins. A test of this nature had only one result for me.