Chapter 15 - Spoils of War

3rd person

Victory. What did it really mean? 

Accomplishing strategic goals? Acquiring vital resources?

Indisputable dominance? Total annihilation of the enemy?

What did it truly mean? Furthermore...

What did it truly matter?

Ponds POV

"Boom!"

A thunderous tremor rippled through the hull of the Absolute, the last of many. 

This one was the final nail in the coffin. As the lights of the Absolute's bridge faded, so did the constant hum of the ship's collective mechanisms. 

A clone officer named 'Nox' informed me of our newest plight.

"A starboard engine's been hit, commander!" he panicked. The rest of the bridge officers were also in disarray, madly typing at their consoles. 

"How long for the auxiliary power to kick in?" I demanded, still keeping my cool.

"A while, sir!" he responded, sporting a pained look on his face.

"Our shields are down!" another officer yelled.

"Well... get them back up!" I ordered, my calm demeanor beginning to erode.

"Boom! Boom! Boom!" 

"Aaaahhh!"

"AGH!"

"AUGH!"

"Argh!"

The entirety of my bridge crew were knocked off their feet as Grievous bombarded the Absolute with turbolaser fire. I alone managed to keep my footing. 

Peering out the trapezoidal windows of the bridge, the full extent of our plight was revealed.

Grievous mercilessly targeted each and every innate weakness of the Star Destroyer. His bombardment was accompanied by a myriad of vulture droids and other unmanned fighters. 

It was a swarm of death. 

I pounded the button that activated the holotable, switching to the separatist frequency.

"General Grievous! Grievous! Can you hear me? This is Commander Ponds of the Grand Army of the Republic." I shouted, repeating myself until a response came through.

"Speak, republic dog." Grievous answered, sounding rather pleased.

"I'd like to negotiate terms of surrender!" I revealed, all other options having been exhausted. The General acknowledged my request with a fit of mad laughter and coughing.

"Ah... I think not, unless you'd like to surrender your lives!" he cackled before shutting off our communication completely.