Chapter 12 - The Clone War

3rd Person

The Clone War was a simple conflict at a surface level. When asked what the clone war was about, how would the average citizen respond? 

"The Republic is trying to squash the separatist insurgents."

Maybe something like this? Or possibly...

"The Separatists are trying to create a better republic, free of corruption."

Something like this?

Can a war so widespread in its calamity be condensed into such simple descriptions? So many lives destroyed... so many cultures and ways of life wiped from existence. Simply inevitabilities of war, surely. 

All the death, destruction, despair... surely in the end, it would mean something. 

(y/n) POV

The lone sun of Jedha was currently at its zenith, sending waves of solar energy that scorched the planet below. I was dehydrated, drenched with sweat. With their layered armor, I'm sure the 91st legion was taking the blazing heat even worse. 

It was the fifth day... still no sign of activity. Still no sign of reinforcements either. The troopers were anxious, as was I.

'Have patience. That's what Master Sinube would say...' I thought to myself while wiping a bead of sweat from my temple.

"Commander (l/n), over here!" I heard faintly. It seemed to be coming from a AT-RT walker, roughly thirty meters down our orbital formation. 

The pure white sand was superheated to the point that I could still feel a cozy warmth through my boots. As I trudged through the desert landscape, eventually I saw it was Link who had called to me. The Lieutenant sat squarely at the controls of his puny walker. As I approached, he saluted.

"Howdy, (y/n). Figured you could use some excitement. Care to try her out?" he proposed, motioning to his vehicle.

"Well..." I trailed off, blindsided by the offer.

"I know she doesn't look like much, but hey... trust me. A starfighter's got nothing on the fun of driving an AT-RT." he assured me.

"Alright, I'll take her for a whirl." I obliged.

I put forward my best attempt, trying to replicate the maneuvers Link demonstrated. This lasted for a while. Eventually, we were joined by two familiar faces.

"They grow up so fast!" Slip heckled as I nearly tripped the tiny bipedal walker. Burst probably shook his head, though I didn't see his reaction. 

"I'm older than you!" I retorted, regaining the machine's balance. 

That was enough AT-RT driving for a day. Maybe for a lifetime.

"Nice weather, eh?" Link joked as I hopped out of the walker.

"Tell me about it. Our shift starts now, so if you two want to tap out... feel free." Burst offered.