Chapter 28 - The Galaxy's Edge

3rd person

Life is diverse in its expression.

And yet, all life is bound together, united as one... through one commonality.

The force, yes, but through something else as well.

The instinctive desire to survive.

That desire keeps us going, keeps us breathing, but it also births a variety of strange behaviors amongst living creatures.

Tradition, heirlooms, legacy. Terrified of being forgotten, the dead pass down their possessions, their wealth, even their memory...

In the hopes that part of them may live on.

Even though it's futile.

Eternity always wins.

Rituals, funerals, religions. The fear of a void of nothingness is so overwhelming for so many.

Even though that nothingness is merely the force.

Regardless, the idea of maintaining one's consciousness after the end is appealing to many.

Perhaps it gives them comfort, lends them the strength to keep moving forward.

Finally, the deepest, darkest desire of all, conceived when all the previous behaviors coalesce into their purest form.

The desire for immortality.

To defy nature, to defy the force...

To transcend everything that is temporary...

Anakin POV

Fall.

One of the great many seasons the galaxy had to offer.

Flowers disappeared into the ground, leaves shriveled and cracked...

Naboo's autumn was amazing. Watching the forests gradually turn brown after every visit... for Padme and I, that was one of our favorite pastimes.

On Coruscant, autumn was localized within one tree.

The Great Tree.

Standing before the ancient uneti, my mind started to wander.

The environment melded with my experience.

I sensed the fall breeze tugging at my robes...

The lone tree rocked back and forth, its limbs swaying through gusts of wind...

And every so often, the air currents plucked a leaf from the uneti's branches.

As I watched a single leaf fall to the courtyard, my brow furrowed...

My lip curled...

'Luminara... Qui-gon...'

It seemed that every time a Jedi turned over a new leaf, or tried to go against the flow...

Sooner or later, they too fell.

(y/n) POV