Chapter 39 - The Evil of Hope

3rd Person

For most, war is a nightmare.

However, for some... war is an opportunity. A lucky chance to strike gold.

Even still, some are too impatient for that conflict to form naturally...

And bring it about themselves.

Greed initiates the bloodshed. Hatred perpetuates it...

Only death concludes it.

Incentive procures outcome.

Dooku POV

"BOOM!" "BOOM!" "BOOM!" "BOOM!" "BOOM!"

Within a highland valley, the battle raged on... heavy laser fire annihilated friend and foe alike. Meanwhile, I watched from afar... safely standing in a sanctuary beneath the mountainside.

'Grievous was certainly too valuable for his own good.' I lamented coldly. 'The effects of his absence are quite evident.'

With my supreme commander captured, I'd been given no choice but to command troops myself.

Unfortunately, my tactical eye - while nothing to scoff at - paled in comparison to Grievous.

If the Republic continued advancing at their current rate, we'd be overrun.

And above all else, I sensed a distinct presence approaching my position...

A familiar presence, but the environment was far too entropic to determine their identity.

Troubling.

Troubling indeed.

"BOOM!" "BOOM!" "CCRRRRACK!"

Two stray blasts of energy devastated the mountainside, dislodging several boulders and shaking the monestary below.

...It was time to make my exit.

"CRASSSHH!" "CRASSSHHH!" "CRRRASH!"

The falling boulders impacted the ground around me, yet I remained calm, walking towards the entrance to the cave tunnel.

Then... on a whim, I stopped.

...The presence...!

"Tap..."

"Tap..."

"Tap..."

Someone stepped out of the tunnel, obscured within the clouds of soot.

"Pssshhew!"

Amidst the dust and debris, purple plasma howled into being.

"Greetings... Dooku." Mace remarked, stepping out of the powdery haze with his weapon drawn. "I bring with me a message."

"Master Windu..." I drawled, amused. "Presumably not of the diplomatic variety."

"This war is over." Mace barked. 

"CRASSSHH!" "CRAAAACKKK!"

Above us, colossal cracks continued propogating in the cliffside.