Chapter 5

Student Council

Alexander's POV

I was so excited for next period. PE! Yay! Running around is one of my strong suits. After English I dashed out of class to the gym. No one was there. I turned around in a circle. Hm. Maybe I'm just really early? I sat down and waited for my class.

After seven minutes nobody had showed up so I decided to find John. He hadn't followed me. I went back into the main school building. Students were swarming the halls. I saw Eliza and went over to ask her if she had seen John.

"Eliza!" I called.

She turned around and her eyes lit up. She was walking next to Peggy. Peggy elbowed Eliza and gave her a look. Eliza scowled at her sister and turned to me again.

"Hello, Alex!" she greeted me with a smile on her face.

"Have you seen John?" I asked.

Her smile wavered for a moment. 

"Yeah. He's in room 41." 

"Thanks!" I called over my shoulder as I headed to room 41.

I entered and saw a bunch of my classmates milling around the room. I saw John sitting next to Angelica. He waved at me and I smiled at him. Then I saw Mr. Washington at the front of the room and I turned to leave.

"Mr. Hamilton," Mr. Washington said, "Do you need something?"

"I, um...I was just looking for John," I explained.

"We're in student council," John told me, "Right now is B&E."

"Oh. May I join?" I asked.

I turned to Mr. Washington. He nodded and I thanked him. I plopped into a desk next to John. He started to fill me in.

"Student council is organizing a school dance. It is Candy Land themed. It'll be in the gym. We're still working on a time and date. Oh, also, Mr. Washington leads student council," he told me.

I nodded and focused on the board. Mr. Washington started writing on the board. He wrote:  

𝘊𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘺 𝘓𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘋𝘢𝘯𝘤𝘦

𝘈𝘱𝘳𝘪𝘭 1𝘴𝘵

𝘞𝘩𝘰 𝘪𝘴 𝘋𝘑?

Angie stood up and walked over to the board. She picked up a marker and wrote a name.

"My brother John can DJ!" she exclaimed.

"Great! Could you ask him today if he's able to do it?" Mr. Washington inquired.

"Yep! I can do that!" Angie agreed.

I tentatively raised my hand.  

"This isn't like class. You don't have to raise your hand," John told me.

"Oh. Um, Mr. Washington? I once took a class about interior design. Could I help with the set up?" I asked.

"Of course!"

I smiled. I would be a part of our school's history! This event will be amazing! I will make sure that the whole school will remember this event and that this will be amazing!

I got out a piece of paper and a pencil. I asked Mr. Washington for measurements and he told me. I think I can make something amazing out of the space I'm given.  We need balloons, candy, lights, and more. I have so much work to do!

While the rest of the club talked about the menu, the venue, and the seating, I designed the layout.  Soon the bell rang for PE and I packed up my stuff. As I was walking through the halls, my phone rang. It was the orphanage where I live.

"Hello?" I said.

"Hello Alexander," the front desk lady- Judy - greeted me, "I have some exciting news!"

"What is it? Does someone want to meet me to adopt me?!" I exclaimed.

"It's something even better! We found one of your relatives in the Caribbean."

"Oh."

"I thought you would be more excited..."

"I like it here, Judy. It's a nice school and I already have a friend! On my first day too. Please let me just finish the year. I started halfway through so you only have to wait a few months..."

"...Okay. But only this year."

"Thank you Judy! Thank you so much!"

I hung up. Even though I was allowed to finish the year, I knew I had to leave. How am I going to tell John? John caught up to me and took one look at my face to know something was up. He frowned. I could see the concern in his eyes.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"I...I don't want to talk about it," I answered.

I looked at the floor so he couldn't see the hurt in my eyes. After about 15 seconds I looked up to see the door to get to the gym.

"Oh look! We're here!" I exclaimed, happy to get away from this awkwardness.

I dashed ahead into the gym. I glanced back and saw John watching me with concern in his eyes. I really don't want to talk to him right now. I ran into the gym foyer and took a seat on the ground. Students were seated in lines on the ground. A teacher stood up in front of the class. 

"Sit down or I'll mark you late," the teacher said to John as he walked in.

John sat down in a line far away from me. I wonder what he's feeling. He's so cute when he's worried. Shoot! No! Stop it! I have to make my father proud.  Once I was at the mall with my dad and I saw a child that looked like John. I said to my dad that the boy was cute. My dad hit me and told me I shouldn't like boys.

"Mr. Ham-ill-ton," the teacher called wrenching me from my thoughts, "Is there a Mr. Ham-ill-ton here?"

Mr. Ham-ill-ton? That's not my name...

"Well, you better be sick, dead, or mute Mr. Ham-ill-ton,"

"Here!" I said.

The teacher frowned but then he carried on with attendance. He mispronounced everyone's names but nobody said anything about it. I guess they've had Mr. Garvey as their substitute before. I don't like him. He's loud and he swears. He sort of reminds me of my dad.... Maybe PE won't be that fun after all....

Mr. Garvey started explaining a game called Ga Ga Ball. You are in a pit and you have your hand on the wall. Someone bounces the ball three times. The first time you say "ga", the second time you say "ga", and the third time you say "go"  If it hits below your knees then you are out. This sounds like a fun game!

Mr. Garvey leaves to set up the pit and we were free to roam. I went over to John. He was near two other boys and was talking to them intently.

"John? Hi..." I started.

"Alex! I want you to meet my two best friends! Lafayette or Laf for short and Hercules!" John said.

"Hi..."

"Class! Let's go to PE!" Mr. Garvey called.

We all entered and started our game of Ga Ga Ball.