Chapter 17

It takes HOW long?!

Maria's POV

It was a Fieldwork Wednesday but we weren't going anywhere. All of the school was staying on campus. We had to go through a series of stations and learn about the outdoors. Our outdoor trip was coming up. We will be going to Baxter State Park and camping there. I don't really want to go.

But...Eliza. She'll be there. I don't want to go but then again...Eliza. I smiled at the thought of her. I slid out of bed and got dressed. While my family slept, I silently got ready for school. I wasn't permitted any breakfast or dinner now that I think about it. My mom and dad won't let me have any food. I don't really care though. I'm pretty much always hungry but I'm fine...mostly.

It was a little chilly outside. I love the cold. It means that nobody will be outside and I can be by myself. I started the walk to school. I always have to wake up early so I can make it to school on time. My walk went by quickly and nobody bothered me.

When I got to school, I went to the volleyball field. I saw my whole grade there. I skipped over to Eliza. She smiled at me. Ms. B - a humanities teacher- stepped in front of us. We all shut up and listened.

"Hello!" she said, " Today we will be going through some stations for the outdoors. You will learn how to light a stove, set up a tent, and more. Please follow me."

We all shuffled over to a shed on the side of the school. A bunch of contraptions were laid on the ground. There were six in the circle. The looked like this:

A little bit off to the side, there was a water pump. There was one that uses gravity and another one that you just put onto your water bottle and pump manually. We learned how to use the camping stove and filter water. I almost burned myself learning how to use the stove.

Next we went to the field. Ms. Bondy and Ms. Bergen were going to teach us how to put up a tent. We all sat down as they demonstrated. After they were done, I went inside the tent. It was like a teepee with a pole right in the middle. I wonder how we would be able to fit four people in there. It seemed a little small. Whatever. We'll make it work.

After the tents, we went over to the outside of the gym. Ethan, who was a math teacher, was sitting on a bucket on a table. We all sat in a half circle on the ground. Ms. B had left us at the first station. She had gone over to this station.

"Hello. Since we are all humans, we all have to go to the bathroom. We will be outdoors for a week with no bathrooms so we have to make it work." Ms. B announced.

We all cried out. We would be learning how to use the toilet! This is what that station was for! I looked around at my class. I caught Eliza' eye and she blushed. I looked away as my face got hot. I had to focus though. This station was important.

The day went by fast. Soon we were back at the volleyball field. I was sitting in a small circle with my friends. Ms. B walked in front of my class. The art teacher, Mrs. Brown was with her. And so was Mr. Hatfield who taught something. I don't even know.

"Hey! I've got some important stuff to say about the trip, so listen up," Ms. B yelled.

We all gathered around the three teachers as Ms. B announced something.

"We are going to Baxter State Park all the way up in Maine. We will be taking a school bus up there. We will be camping for three days and then moving to another part of the park. The ride is 13 hours-"

"WHAT?! It takes HOW long?!" I heard Jefferson exclaim.

"The 8th graders will have to drive 16 hours. It won't be that bad," Ms. B answered.

I stifled a laugh. Thirteen hours is a loooong time to be in a bus full of loud students. This will be fun. That was sarcasm if you couldn't tell.

"Here are your tent groups," Ms. B pulled out a piece of paper," Thomas, Alexander, and Hercules."

"I won't be going. I'll be in Kentucky at a horse derby," Hercules interjected.

I glanced over to Alexander. He was slumped down and had his head in his hands. I hope he's okay. None of us like Thomas. Except for Madison. I don't know what he sees in Thomas.

"Anyway, Aaron, Madison, Lafayette, and Monroe. Martha, Eliza, Abigail, and Angie. Laurens, George, Adams, and Reynolds. Peggy, Maria, and Theodosia. "

John L. looked sad. I think it was because he wasn't with Alex. I was fine with my group. They are all my friends. Now that I have friends, school has been a lot more fun. I'm scared that James R. is going. I'll be fine. I'll just hang out with my friends for the whole time. 

After the announcement, we were allowed to have a break. I saw James get up and start stalking towards me. I jumped up and ran at top speed to the bathroom. I slammed the door behind me. What does he want? Why does James do this to me?

"Maria! Come out!" James demanded as he pounded on the door.

"Okay. I'm gay!" I shrieked.

James momentarily stopped banging on the door. I guess I surprised him. I heard his footsteps stomp away. I sighed with relief. He said to come out and I did. Hahaha. What I did was pretty clever.

After a few minutes I opened the door and peeked out. James was nowhere to be seen. I creeped out and peered around the corners. He was nowhere. When I went back to the group, James gave me an evil grin. Shoot. I'm dead.