Chapter 27

Remembering

Maria's POV

TW: Abuse

"James, stop! Please," I pleaded.

I was cowering against a wall as he hit his dog. My dog, Susan, was hiding under a table. He reached under the table and grabbed my beloved Schnauzer.

"No! Stop!" I shrieked.

James threw Susan down. I couldn't look. I closed my eyes, remembering every mistake I made that led me here.

"Hey!" I scowled from the floor.

I was in 6th grade. The now eight grader had stolen my lunch money and pushed me down. I need that lunch money. I never get any breakfast and dinners are small. Don't they know that I'm poor?

"Hey, are you okay?"

I looked up. A boy with kind brown eyes was looking down at me. His brown eyes looked deep and thoughtful. He helped me up.

"My name is James. James Reynolds," He said.

"Maria Lewis. Nice to meet you," I smiled.

"Here."

James held out a hand and gave me his lunch money. I gasped. Doesn't he need a lunch too? I stuttered over my words. For the first time I noticed what he was wearing. He had a light blue polo shirt on. His shorts were high end. A golden watch was hanging from his wrist. I could tell that these clothes were expensive because in my free time I look at clothes. I want to be a fashion designer when I grow up.

"Are you rich?" I blurted out.

"Heh. As a matter of fact, I am," James answered.

If I could date this guy and eventually get married, my family wouldn't be poor anymore. I winked at him and smirked. James smiled back at me. This is going well so far.

Time Skip

"Here," James handed me a necklace.

It had a delicate gold chain. It was a golden locket. I opened it to see a photo of James. I smiled and gave him a hug.

"Thank you! This is the nicest thing anyone's ever done for me. Thank you so much," I cried.

James grinned. As we walked to class, he held my hand. I blushed.

Time Skip

I remember our first date. He had given me the locket a week ago. Or was it two? Time flies when you are having a good time.

We were in the movie theater. James was being super nice to me. He bought me candy and popcorn. We went to see Tick Tick Boom. It was so good.

After 30 minutes of the movie, it all went downhill. James grabbed my hand and led me out of the movie room. The halls were deathly empty. James shoved me against a wall. I gasped, wondering what was happening.

"What are you do-" I was cut off.

James slammed his lips into mine. I tried to push him off. Then, I kicked him right where a boy doesn't want to be kicked. He crumpled to the ground.

"What are you doing?" I cried.

"Shut up," James got up.

SLAP. He slapped me right across the face. My head jerked in the other direction. I raised my hand up to my cheek with trembling fingers. My eyes filled with hot tears but I blinked them away. I will not cry. That is exactly what he wants. I stood up straighter. James scowled.

"Tell anyone about this and I will find you," He growled.

I was filled with fear. Where is the nice boy that gave me his lunch money? I thought that James was nice. He gave me things. What happened?

"What happened to the nice boy who gave me this locket?" I asked as I held it.

"I was acting! Aren't I wonderful?" James laughed.

I frowned. We went back to the movie although I didn't want to. I nervously sat down and James sat next to me. He stretched out his arm and rested it on the cushion. I slowly moved away from him.

When the movie was over, I sighed with relief. I gathered my stuff and hurriedly walked out of the movie theater.

Time Skip

After I told James that I was gay, he tormented me. It wasn't true. I just said I was gay so he wouldn't bother me anymore. But I am bi. He still pushed me into walls and stole my lunch money. On one occasion, James knocked me down and I dropped my computer. I ran to my new friends, crying.

"Do you want me to yell at him?" Angie asked.

"No!" I exclaimed.

Peggy frowned. She gave me a hug.

I didn't know what to do. I'm scared to report him. What will James do to me?

"What should I do?" I asked.

"Kill him!" Eliza exclaimed.

" Eliza! No," I cried.

"I'll take care of it,"Angie said.

I sighed. I love Angie but she can be a lot. I smiled a little. Angie got up to leave but I pulled her back down.

(Now we're out of the flashback)

"Why do you do this? What joy does harming living animals bring? Why?" I asked.

"You are in no position to talk," James sneered.

"But you don't realize that I have the power to report you," I smiled.

James paled and I smirked. I went to the kitchen and pulled out a knife. I know it seems a little bit crazy but what else was I to do? I smiled sweetly. James backed away from me as I slowly walked towards him. He turned and fled out of the door. Once he was gone, I cheered. By making him flee, I won this battle. I may not have won the war but it's a great step in that direction.

Susan was hiding in the bathroom. I called her and she came running. I knelt down and pet her little body. Susan nuzzled my leg. I could sense the appreciation radiating off of her little grey body. I smiled knowing that James wouldn't come back to my house soon.