Chapter 13

Fieldwork Wednesday

Lafayette's POV

Wednesdays mean no homework. It means we get to go outside and do stuff. Some kids in my class call it child labor. In some ways it is, I guess. But today we are going to Central Park and picking up trash. Fuuuun. At least I get to spend time with my boyfriend!

We walked to our lockers early in the morning. His hand fit like a puzzle piece into mine. I smiled. His hand was warm and comforting. I opened my locker and deposited my sweater and a bunch of notebooks.

I heard a commotion from around the corner near the English classroom. I should probably mention that we got a new student on Tuesday. His name is George Eacker and he is super annoying. I peeked around the corner to see the Schuyler sisters and George Eacker. Angie was trying to kick George, Eliza was yelling, and Peggy was watching it all from the side.

"She's too pure!" Angie roared.

"Go get a life!" Eliza yelled.

"Yeah! Go away!" Peggy added.

Angie landed a sharp kick to his ankles. George yelped and ran away. Eliza glared daggers at him. I've never seen her this mad at anyone.

"What happened?" I asked as I came over to them.

"Ummm...George came over and...um...moaned. Peggy asked what it was and he said - his words, not mine- 'The girls make it during the fun times. Want to test it out?' I started kicking him. Peggy is too young!" Angie explained.

"I can hear all of this, y'know," Peggy said.

Angie grabbed Eliza's hand and Eliza grabbed Peggy's. We all walked out to the volleyball field where we were told to meet. I was pleased to see that Mr. and Mrs. Washington were the chaperones for this trip. Mrs. Washington took attendance and we were herded onto the bus.

Alex, John L, Hercules and I sat in the front of the bus. We sat in the third row. All the other students sat in the back. I prefer sitting in the front. Unsurprisingly, John sat next to Alexander. I smirked.

Now would be a good time to mention all the ships in the class. I made most of them. I enjoy playing matchmaker. Lams, Mullete, Jeffmads,  Hamliza, Hamgelica, Burrdosia, Marliza, and Jeggy. Meggy might be a thing but I don't really ship it.

We were stuck in traffic and the bus ride was taking longer than expected. I glanced over to John and Alexander. John was asleep and his head was on Alexander's shoulder! I jumped up and down in my seat. I tugged on Hercules' sleeve.

"What is wrong with you?" Hercules asked, annoyed.

I pointed to John and Alexander. I made a heart with my hands. I mouthed: "I ship it!" Alexander mouthed: "Shut up!" I laughed and tried to contain my excitement. I ship it! Lams is my favorite ship in the class.

We arrived at Central Park and Alexander gently shook John awake. They are so cute together! I jumped off the bus into the bright sunlight. I heard children laughing and playing. I love Central Park.

We were handed a trash bag and told to meet back by the buses at noon for lunch. We nodded and spread apart. Hercules and I walked in front of John and Alex. I got a great idea in my head. I started running and pulled Hercules along. After I couldn't see John or Alexander, I stopped and hid behind a tree. I heard voices and Alex and John walked by. They were laughing and talking. My ship is a reality! John looked my way and I spun behind the tree. I crashed into Herc and we both tumbled to the ground. Alexander and John screamed and jumped.

"Hi! You find any trash?" I said to break the awkwardness.

"Why'd you leave me?" John whined.

"Umm...because I saw some trash?" I answered.

John shook my head. He knows what I'm trying to do. I gave him a cheeky grin. John sighed. We started to play Truth or Dare. We played for a while.

"Alex. Truth or Dare?" I asked.

"Truth!"

"Who do you want to go with to the dance?"

"...Eliza."

We all screeched. We all know that Eliza liked Alexander but we didn't know that he liked her back.I think they are a cute couple. I quietly gasped. Alexander can go with Eliza, I can go with Hercules, and John cna go with Peggy. Eliza will leave Alexander halfway through for Maria, and Peggy will go to Angie. I'll be dancing with my boyfriend and John and Alexander can dance! Hahahahahahahahahahahaha! I laughed out loud and my friends gave me strange looks.

"What are you laughing at?" A;exnader asked.

"HAHAHAHA. NOOOOOOTHING," I yelled.

People gave me strange looks. You only live once, so I don't care what people think of me. I waved to a lady giving me a look. She scoffed and shook her head. I smiled.

We strolled back to the bus. We sat down to eat our lunch. I pulled out a ham sandwich and an éclair. My mom made the éclairs a couple days ago. I must have something French in my food so I retain my Frenchiness.

"NO! PUT HIM DOWN!" I heard Eliza shriek.

I jerked my head over to Eliza and her friends. Eliza had a cage open near her. I know that Eliza has a hamster named Phillip. George Eacker was holding a little animal. I think it was Phillip. George pulled his hands down and flung Phillip into the air. Eliza let out a horror movie scream. Mrs. Washington and Mr. Washington jumped up. Peggy shoved George to the side. It was like seeing it in slow motion. Mrs. Washington ran over to George. Phillip flew through the air. Peggy spun around and caught Phillip right before he hit the ground. She gave him to Eliza and she hugged him close. Eliza put Phillip back into his cage and hugged it to her chest.

I've never seen Mrs. Washington mad at anybody. She was furious at George though. I heard her say that Phillip is a living animal and that he should be nice to all animals. I went over to Elzia and asked if she and Phillip were both okay. She nodded.

I thought that this trip would be boring but I was very wrong. So much has happened and it isn't even 1 PM yet!