Chapter 29

The Election of The Year

Thomas' POV

(A/N: I thought  that this was chapter 30. I got confused. I thought I had written a chapter before this but not posted this. Sorry for the late update!)

"HELLOOOOOO PEOPLE! MAKE WAY FOR THE PRESIDENT!" I boomed as I threw open the doors to school.

People gave me dirty looks but I don't care. I have worked so hard for this moment. I will win and become president! Nobody will stand in my way. Oh, except for maybe Aaron Burr standing right in front of me.

"Move. The President is coming through," I demanded.

"No. I'm running too. You know that. Nobody has voted yet so you have no right to call yourself the President," Aaron grumbled.

"So? I need to get to class. Move!" I said.

Aaron sighed and let me pass. I smirked at him. He can't win the presidency. Nobody can because I will already have won.

"Anyway, you'll probably crash and BURRn. Hahaha," I whispered as I passed him.

I sauntered into class and took my seat. As I entered, I heard a rush of voices. Everybody was talking about the election that would be happening after school. Mr. Franklin seized a ruler and rapped it on his desk. We quieted down.

"I know that all of you are excited about the upcoming election but we have to focus! A test is coming up and we all have to be prepared.

"Today we will be talking about George Washingun. Washingun was born on-"

I already know all of this! What I don't know, I can always look up. I should be paying attention but I can't.

Class dragged by. Soon, the bell rang and I burst out of class. As I walked through the halls, I noticed the walls. They were bare. The posters were gone. Who took down my masterpieces?! Where did they go? My older sister Jane had covered them in glitter and had drawn a great photo of me.

I went through the list of all the people that were running. Angie, Monroe, Madison, Adams, me. There might be more. So many people are running that it's hard to keep track. I think that Angie would be a good president. She has the drive. But almost all the boys don't like her so she probably won't win.

Time skip

The bell rang for the end of the school day. We were playing Dodgeball. I was out because of Burr. He always targets me. Usually I'm one of the best players. Not today because I'm so distracted.

I jumped up and went to the foyer. I gathered my stuff from a corner. I said goodbye to Mr. Roper. He was our PE teacher.

"Thomas, wait!" James called. But I was already out the door.

I hurried to Mr. Washington's room. I burst into the class. Twenty pairs of eyes stared at me. I stopped in my tracks. The class was still in session! I slowly backed out and quietly closed the door. 30 seconds later, the students flooded out. I grinned and went into Mr. Washington's room.

"Ah, good. You're all here!" He said.

I looked back and saw that all the other wannabe presidents had arrived. I took a seat as Mr. Washington explained what we would be doing.

"Before the school votes, you will give speeches telling the school why they should vote for you. I told you this a week ago. I hope that all of you took the time to write a speech. Let's go," Mr. Washington told us.

We followed Mr. Washington to the auditorium. It looked like it did the day we performed Chamilton but just without the Chamilton stage. A podium was set up in the middle of the stage. It looked lonely.

The math teacher led us backstage. We played rock paper scissors to see who would go first. Adams got first. Then we got into a hasty line. I got second. I was behind Angie.

Adams' speech blended into an eight minute long monotone speech. It was so boring. Angie was a bit better. Then it was my turn.

I slowly walked to the podium. I tapped on the microphone. Everyone's eyes were upon me. I started my speech. I wasn't even sure what I was saying.

At the end of my speech, everybody clapped. The applause felt good. I scanned the audience for somebody from my class. I saw Alexander. He wasn't clapping. Haters gonna hate. Whatever.

I grinned and left the stage. I gave everybody high fives. Even Angie accepted one. After everyone had spoken, the school went to vote. They filed out of the auditorium and went to the gym. I'm so nervous!

Eliza's POV

I will definitely vote for Angie. Of course I will vote for my sister! She's my sister. I wonder who other people voted for.

Hercules' POV

Who should I vote for? I stared at the paper full of names. I could sense the people behind me. They were impatient.

Angie. I'll vote for Angie.

Time skip

Aaron's POV

"Aaaaaaand," Principal George drew out the word as I sat on the edge of my seat, "It's a tie between Jefferson and Burr!"

The school gasped as one. I could see the heads swiveling around to see us. I groaned and sank down in my seat.

I saw Mr. Washington get up and whisper in Principal George's ear. Principal George nodded. He then spoke into the microphone.

"We will have Mr. Hamilton decide the winner. Mr. Hamilton. Could you come up here?"

Alexander is my friend. He'll definitely endorse me! I sat up straighter, knowing that he would help me.

"The people have been asking to hear my choice. The school is facing a difficult choice. And if you were to ask me who I'd promote, Jefferson has my vote," Alexander announced.

"OH!" The school screeched.

"I have never agreed with Jefferson once. We have fought on like 75 different fronts," He continued. "But when all is said and all is done, Jefferson has beliefs. Burr has none."

"Oooooh," The school hissed.

After the abomination of a speech by Alexander was over, I went up to Jefferson.

"Hamilton's on your side," Madison was saying.

"Congrats on a race well won," I said. " I did give you a fight."

"Uh huh," Jefferson scoffed.

"I look forward to our partnership," I continued.

"Our partnership?"

"As your vice president!" I held out my hand for a handshake.

"Hahaha. Yeah, right. You hear this guy? Man openly campaigns against me, talkin' bout 'I look forward to our partnership'" Thomas laughed in his southern drawl.

"It is crazy that the guy who comes in second gets to be vice president," Madison supplied.

"Ooh, you know what, we can change that, you know why?"

"Why?" Madison asked.

"'Cause I'm the President! Burr, when you see Hamilton, thank him for the endorsement."

Thomas smiled and walked away. I was left, fuming.