Chapter 10

Heartbroken

Peggy's POV

TW: Abuse

It had been a week since Maria had fainted in math. Honestly, Maria's a little cute. But I like Lafayette more. His French accent, his hair, everything about him is so hot! I've liked him since the second week of school.

I was sitting in English. I sit right next to Alexander. He's nice. He talks a ton. We confide in each other a lot. I like him as a friend. Most of our texts are about problems we have or just gossip.

I was working on my project. We have to modernize a Greek myth. I'm doing Hera's jealousy. I'm doing it in comic book form. Most of the people in my class are doing it online. Alex isn't. Nor am I. 

"Alex, is this good?" I questioned as I showed him a page.

"Totally!" he agreed.

"Go take a ten minute break!" Ms. Bondy called as she pulled up a ten minute timer.

I jumped out of my seat and raced over to Angie. I whispered in her ear. She hesitated and then nodded. Angie wasn't quite as excited as I thought she'd be. I initiated phase 1.  I ran to my locker and took out a drawing of Alexander. I was going to give it to him btu now it would be part of my plan.

"Hey, Eliza, will you come to the bathroom with me?" Angie asked.

Once they left, I waited for a text from Angie. My phone dinged and I saw that Angie had texted me. She said: "2". That's our code for "Phase 2"

"Alex! I want to show you something! Follow me," I said.

He followed me near the bathrooms. We stopped about twenty feet away from the bathroom. I texted Angie the number 3. A few seconds later, she came out with Eliza. I ran around the corner. I was pretending that I needed to get a pencil to fix something on the drawing. Angie came with me. We hid behind the corner and listened.

"...Hi," Eliza started.

"Hi! Um, how are you?" Alexander replied.

"I'm good. How about you?" 

"I'm good too."

This wasn't going how I wanted it to. I looked at Angie. She nodded. We had a whole conversation with just our eyes. I rounded the corner and saw Eliza and Alex standing in awkward silence. I pulled out the drawing from my pocket. Angie was waving her arms and had gotten Eliza's attention. She was gesturing for Eliza to come to her. She glanced at me and went to Angie. I sighed with relief.

"I drew you a couple days ago. I just had to fix something real quick," I handed him the drawing.

"Peggy, this is great! Thank you!" he exclaimed.

We started heading back to class because there was nothing else to do. There were six minutes left on the timer. I decided to go to the library. As I browsed the books, I saw something out of  the corner of my eye. A door was partially opened. I pushed it all the way open. Light flooded into the dark room. The room was where they keep the old books. Nobody is allowed to check them out but you can read them in the library. 

The light illuminated two figures. It took me a moment to figure out who it was. When I did, I gasped and dropped the books I was holding. Lafayette and Hercules were... kissing! When they realized that they weren't alone, they broke apart. The were both blushing madly.

I ran. I ran out of the library and down the hall. I sprinted past Ms. Bondy's classroom. I pushed open the doors at the end of the hall to go outside. I walked a few steps and leaned against a wall. I slid down to the ground. I buried my head between my knees and sobbed. All I could think was Lafayette and Hercules. Lafayette and Hercules. 

I heard the doors open. I don't care who it was. They laid a hand on my shoulder and I looked up. It was John Laurens. He's very kind.

"What happened? I saw you sprinting down the hall," he asked.

"I s-s-saw Lafayette a-and Hercules k-kissing!" I said through my tears.

John hugged me. My heart has been broken. He talked to me about how the pain will go away over time. I'm not sure I believe him. We walked back into class. We were one minute early. When Lafayette and Hercules came in, they purposefully avoided my gaze. A single tear ran down my cheek. I quickly wiped it away.

I tried to work on my project, but I couldn't! Lafayette and Hercules. Lafayette and Hercules. Augh! It was like a broken record playing in my mind with only their names. 

After English, it was lunch. I sat down in my usual spot. We always sit in the hall outside of the English room.

"Peggy? What's wrong?" Theo questioned.

I told my friends the whole story. I even talked about setting up Alexander and Eliza. Angie volunteered to go yell at Lafayette. I told her that it won't do anything. Just then, Lafayette entered the hall. I guess he was looking for me.

"Peggy, I didn't know-"he started.

"I've liked you since the second week of school. Your accent, your hair, even your handwriting was perfect. But what does it matter? You like Hercules. I have nothing against him. I have nothing against you. Just, please, go. I want to be alone," I ranted.

I walked away. Nobody followed me. We have monkey bars and a swing set on campus. Nobody else was outside because it was a little chilly. I was sitting on top of the monkey bars when I heard shouting. I silently jumped off the monkey bars and went to investigate. I peeked around a corner. Maria Lewis was struggling to make James Reynolds let go of her wrist.

"Please, just let me go!" Maria pleaded.

"No! You want to leave me. You said that you would date me. I am not letting you go date Eliza!" James snarled.

"No.... Please. I'll report you! I'll tell my parents everything! I'll tell your-" Maria was cut off.

SLAP! James had just slapped Maria across the face! Her head was jerked in the other direction. A red mark appeared on her cheek. She turned her head to face James. She set her mouth in a line. 

"You report me and I'll hurt you," James threatened as he walked off.

Once he was gone, Maria dissolved into silent tears. She took out a mirror and concealer. She proceeded to cover up the red mark on her cheek. I made sure that he wasn't coming back. I rushed over to Maria.

"What was that about?" I asked.

"I hate him. I hate him so much. He can't see me cry," Maria whispered.

"I'll report him for you!"

Maria gasped and her eyes went wide. She vigorously shook her head no.

"No! You can't. He'll hurt you. Don't. I'll be fine," Maria promised.

"How long has he been abusing you?"

"Since...we first started dating."

"But that's been three months!"

"I know. Please don't report him. I don't want to see you get hurt. Tell Eliza that I'm okay."

She turned and quickly walked away to go inside. I think she was going to the bathroom where James couldn't find her. Poor Maria. James has been hurting her for three months! My heart ache was gone. I need to help Maria. How though?