Chap. 22: Somebody Else

Brandon
November 9, 2015; 6:30 p.m.

"Happy birthday to ya! Happy birthday to ya, happy birthday! Haaaaaaapyyyyyy, birthdayyyyy. Happy biiirthdaayyyy, happy biiirthdayyyy--." The singing started to trail off, you know that awkward part where everyone just starts mumbling. Eventually they all clapped and I smiled thanking everybody. There weren't too many people, just a few of my extended family, friends from Hunter, and Niyah's immediate family. It is weird not having Niyah here, 'cause I know her goofy ass would be putting cake on my face right now.

"Damn that cake look good!" Everybody laughed at my uncle Alex's comment and he rubbed his hands together, with his clowning ass.

"Alright before we cut the cake I want to say a few words to my baby boy." My mom announced and stood in front of me. "Brandon, I love you so much. You make me proud every year with your accomplishments and everything you do. You're always working hard with school, work, the twins, Courtney, Niyah, even me." My mom started to tear up and everybody awed, making her to smile. "I'm sorry y'all. Just watching him grow up, I saw him become the best man in the family."

My uncle started coughing, "2nd best man." He commented making everybody laugh; like I said, he's a clown.

My mom smiled and continued, "Really though B, it's a blessing. Happy 19th birthday baby." I smiled and stepped closer to my mom, hugging her and kissing her cheek. Everyone awed and clapped again.

"I love you ma, thank you forreal."

"Y'all done? I'm tryna get at this cake!"

"Eat the damn cake Alex!" My mother screamed at my uncle, cracking a smile. After cutting the cake, we all went back to dancing and talking. Everything was going smooth so far, but I had Niyah in the back of my head the whole time.

I sat down on the couch, with the twins in their play pin and Courtney in my lap eating cake. Selangie came up and smiled sitting down, "How's the cake?"

Courtney put her thumb up and nodded, continuing to eat. "It's so good." She smiled and thanked Courtney, telling her that she made it herself.

"Really?" I was surprised 'cause the cake really was that good. "Lemme find out you Rachel Ray in the kitchen."

She laughed. "You should've known, your uncle could tell before he even tasted it." I laughed shaking my head, and taking another piece of Courtney's cake.

I met Selangie at Hunter in my American History class. When we started talking we instantly clicked, it started when she was giving me advice on my criminology class. I told her about Niyah's situation and how she's in jail for something she didn't do, and she promised she would help me prove that Niyah is innocent. Then we started to hang out and she came to be a great friend.

"Can I talk to you real quick, in private?" I nodded and told Courtney to get up, then walked with Sel to the patio. It was a little cold, since it was the middle of fall, but we wouldn't be out here for long.

"What's up? You got some new info with the Kayla thing?"

"No, its uh," she paused and looked down, "It's nothing like that, nothing about Kayla actually." She looked up at me and came closer, putting her hair behind her ear. I can't lie she's a beautiful girl, but we could never be something more than friends. "It's about you, and how I feel about you."

I froze and scratched my head, looking down at her confused, it was like she read my mind; but not the 2nd half of the statement. "Whatchu mean?"

She sighed, "Brandon, you know about my past break up, and you know how I was torn up about it. Right?" I nodded, confused where are was going with this. I have no interest in Sel, well in that way at least.