O31. THE AWAKENING SPIRIT

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE.
❝ THE AWAKENING SPIRIT. ❞

✄┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

✄┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

"I'll be back. I'm going to the store to buy the things I need for Daniela's soup once she wakes. It's her favorite."

Dolores had been worried over the past few days, going to the store and coming back because of her racing thoughts. She really thought that she was going to lose Daniela and it made her afraid, she couldn't bear lose another child close to her.

"Are you okay, Dolores?" Mr. Adrien asked the older woman, eyebrows furrowed as he eyed her anxious face. He knew how worried she had been over the past 3 days. "Maybe you should take a break."

"No," Dolores answered. "I owe it to Daniela. I can't rest."

The woman walked out, being allowed to do so since Dream trusts her enough to be careful. Well, he does have about two guards not so far from her to keep a close eye on the woman just in case, but other than that, Dolores was careful. She was paranoid, careful, and she tried to do everything she could so no one would follow her.

"I'll go check up on Daniela," Ms. Lenard wiped her hands away on her apron, leaving the kitchen to head towards the girl's room. She hadn't awoken yet but Dream has been staying with her over the past few days, making sure his business was alright while making sure everyone was taking good care of her.

Knocking on the door, the older woman waited for a "come in" before she entered, eyes immediately landing on the sleeping girl with an IV needle on her arm. Daniela looked peaceful, her hair brushed because of the other maids, which Dream liked watching them do—he'll never admit to watching them do so, though.

"How is she?" Ms. Lenard asked quietly.

Dream sighed and started writing on the documents, placing down the pen to focus his attention on the older woman. "She's stable. The doctors mentioned she'll wake up on her own in two days or three."

"She looks better than she did two days ago," Ms. Lenard commented, running a hand over the girl's cheek. "Do you have any leads on this?"

"No," Dream shook his head. "We have men and cameras spying on Mr. V but, no luck. He's just been worrying about her and getting Pixie samples so his men can come up with a remedy for the poison."

"No leads then," Ms. Lenard sighed, sitting at the edge of the bed. "It feels lonely without her talking one's ear off."

"Mmm, I quite enjoy the silence," Dream smiled a bit, face mask on the nightstand. Ms. Lenard has seen his face many times and workers were not allowed in unless they knocked. It was surprising, though, that he took off his mask around Daniela, even though she was unconscious.

"Fuck you, asshole."

Dream didn't react at hearing the voice, but Ms. Lenard subconsciously jumped, clearly not having noticed that she had twitched in her sleep and her fingers moved.

"Welcome back," Dream put on his face mask, placing his documents down. He walked around and sat in the same place as Ms. Lenard, the woman having stood up to make sure she was okay.

"I need water," Daniela coughed and Ms. Lenard quickly went to get her a cup of water and some fruits. Dream looked at the girl and the way she tried to stretch, but the IV needle prevented her from doing so. She looked down at her arm. "What the fuck?"

"You got poisoned, buddy," Dream clarified, patting her hand. "We're still trying to figure it out and trying to find the culprit but... nothing."

"And I'm still alive?" Daniela furrowed her eyebrows, clearly drowsy and in a state of confusion. Dream hummed. "I knew I was a miracle."

Dream chuckled. "I'm not going to argue. But, you need to rest and I need to call the doctors for confirmation and we can get you back up on your feet."

"Sounds good," Daniela nodded. "Have you called my grandmas?"

"We didn't want to worry them," Dream replied. "They wouldn't trust you to be here if they knew someone tried to kill you from inside. It's more dangerous for you to be outside."

"Did my dad really piss off so many people that I'm in danger even going outside?" Daniela looked at him. He hummed yet again, clearly having noticed the amount of hacking there has been in his own computers. Thankfully, George fixed the issue. "I kind of feel like Bella when Edward and—"

"Please don't," Dream breathed out, covering her mouth. Daniela chuckled before dryly coughing. Dream looked at the door impatiently. "You're going to have to wait a bit. Everyone is so fucking slow today."

Was he annoyed? Yes. At Daniel? Of course not. She made it bearable now and he wasn't as stressed as before. She still looked sick, but her eyes carried a fire in them that she always had.

"Don't be rude," Daniela swatted his arm. He shook his head and rubbed the skin where she slapped, playfully glaring at her. "I'm sure they're trying their best. Where's Dolores, though?"

"Hmm, I don't know," Dream furrowed his eyebrows, placing his cold hands on the girl's forehead. "She was here a bit ago. She's been coming in here when I can't visit you."

"Oh, this must be hard for her," the man noticed the pitiful expression on her face. "I don't like getting sick because I feel like it traumatizes Dolores too much."

"We have a therapist," Dream suggested, his words mumbled. "She clearly has some issues. Because of that, I don't want her working with you or helping you."

"Dream—" said man gave her a look that shushed her.

"I'm serious, Daniela," he started. "If she's traumatized and you're even afraid of getting sick, she's not ready for this job. She clearly needs to focus on herself. She was a nanny wasn't she?"

Daniela nodded, a small sigh escaping past her lips as the door of her bedroom opened, a countless of maids pouring in with food. "She was. After her husband and son's death, though... she hasn't been the same. We've given her break—Well, I've given her breaks but she doesn't want to. She always denies it and goes back to work. She's a true inspiration but, she needs time."

"I'll talk to her," Dream said. "In the meantime, I want you to rest."

"And then I can try on dresses?" Daniela asked, a hopeful look in her eyes. They were glistening and the darkness that invaded them almost seemed bright even though she woke up after being in the brink of death.

"Then you can try on dresses," Dream nodded, standing up as the maids hurried to Daniela's side. "I want you to stay here though until we get confirmation that you can do more. Got it?"

"Yes, Dream, I got it," Daniela shook her head with a smile smile tilting on the corner of her lips. "Now, go. I need to eat this shit up and I don't want you to see me munching it down."

"Okay, okay."

"Thank you."

Dream stood up and eyed the girl from his position on the doorframe, documents in hand and sleeves rolled up. His face mask was slightly titled and hair disheveled but, oddly, enough, he still looked attractive to Daniela, who took a small peak before eating.

"Daniela," the girl looked up at hearing his voice. Letting out a small "yes," Dream stared back at her before looking away from the eye contact. "It's good to have you back, I guess."

"Good to be back. Didn't miss your voice."

"Shut up."

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Imma update again in a bit :)

Any questions?

Edit: this fucking chapter
was supposed to publish
last night... 😐😑😐