☞T E N

Roselyn Belo

Monday, 10:15am:

Who knew being a lawyer could be so much fun?

...note the immensely strong sarcasm.

There's only been one case closed, the second is still going. I didn't even know there was this many court cases a day, it's so boring.

My parents want me to follow my mom's footsteps and become a lawyer so my dearest mother handed me a note book and sent me to my seat to take notes, I feel like I'm invading people's privacy which I really am doing.

So far, a women has been sentenced to five years for some sort of drug situation, I wasn't really listening due to the fact Nate would have had to go through one of these, I don't like the thought of that.

"Case dismissed." The old wigged man says, I roll my eyes. There's a case right in front of him, why dismiss it when you can get it over and done with?

We walk out of the room, Mom walks out with her client and chats whilst I sit and wait; texting Nate.

To Nate💘: Did your case ever get dismissed before you were guilty?❤️

From Nate💘: I'm not talking about that with you❤️

To Nate💘: Why not? I want to know😔

From Nate💘: Because I'm not proud of it, I don't want to tell you the details❤️

To Nate💘: Tell me and I'll treat us to a motel😉

From Nate💘: I've got work tonight😭💔

To Nate💘: I forgot😒 I've got to go, I'll call you later😘❤️

From Nate💘: 😭 I'll be waiting baby, I love you😘❤️

To Nate💘: I love you too😘❤️

6:48pm:

Ten cases dismissed, two innocent and only one guilty, despite my mom's protest.

"How's my little girl doing." Dad asks, pulling up at the same time as Mom and I on the driveway.

"Excellent, Carlo you want to see the notes she taken down, I'm so proud." Mom gushes, locking her car after us.

Dad places his hand on my shoulder and kisses my head. "You'll be the top lawyer in the country in no time." He grins, I try my best to smile enthusiastically.

9:12pm:

Grace and I lay on the sun loungers beside my pool, the pool lights are on enough to allow us to see eachother. We lay in our pyjamas, chatting away.

"What do you want to be when you grow up?" I ask her, fiddling with my bracelet that Nate bought me for my sixteenth birthday.

"A mom, a good mom." She answers, staring out to the pool.

I furrow my eyebrows. "Is that all? No career, no...dreams?" I ask.

"Yeah, that's all," she replies and then looks over at me. "Why, what do you want to be?"

"Happy, I just want to be happy," I sigh, standing up to sit on the edge of the pool with my legs in the water. "But career wise, I don't want nothing special, I want my own bakery." I laugh.

"You could easily do that, you bake some good cupcakes." She laughs, joining me with her legs in the pool after taking off her socks.

"It could be done but mom and dad want me to be a lawyer." I roll my eyes, she giggles.

"My dad wanted me to be a vet until I stood up to him and told him to get off my back." She laughs.

"One thing I wish for is to have your attitude, I could never stand up to either of my parents, they'd cut me off." I giggle.

"Oh no! What would pretty little daddy's girl do with no money?" She exclaims sarcastically, I shove her shoulder.

"Shut up, I'm not one of those daddy's girls." I shake my head at her, she laughs.

"Sure," she rolls her eyes. I reach into her pocket and pull out her phone before shoving her into the pool. "You bitch!" She screams as she resurfaces, I burst out laughing and take out my phone; knowing what she's going to do next.

She pulls me into the water.

3:03am:

I waited up all night with the help of coffee and energy snacks, God knows how I'll get to sleep once I've spoke to Nate. I jump when my phone begins to ring and smile when I realise it's probably Nate.

But it's not, it's unknown. I don't answer unknown phone calls incase it's a serial killer or something.

It stops ringing for a second before ringing again, I leave it for the five times it rang until finally I grow bored of it.

"Hello?" I say quietly.

"Roselyn." he says, I furrow my eyebrows.

"Luke?"

"That is I, how are you?" He chuckles, I sigh.

"Luke how did you get my number and why are you calling me at 3am?" I ask, rubbing my eyes.

"No reason, just wanted to chat." He replies.

"Luke it's 3am, you woke me up to ch-"

"You were awake, I didn't wake you up." He inputs, I furrow my eyebrows as shivers travel up my body. I get up and close the curtains, feeling creeped out.

"Luke you're freaking me out so I'm going to bed, goodnight." I say before hanging up and calling Grace right away.

Maybe I'm overreacting, maybe he's only trying to be friendly.

"Bitch you best have a good reason for calling me at 3am." She warns sleepily.

"Luke just called me." I say.

"He what?" She yawns.

"Luke just called me, I have no idea how he got my number and he knew I wasn't asleep, my curtains were wide open. Grace freaking help me." I hiss, climbing beneath my covers.

"Wait what? So he's stalking you now?" She laughs.

"Grace this isn't funny, I'm actually scared right now. I haven't a problem with him getting my number without me knowing, I can handle that but knowing I'm awake when my curtains are open, that's way too freaking creepy." I reach over to my bedside table and turn off the lamp.

"Do you want me to come over?" She asks, sounding more concerned.

"Please." I squeak.

We say our goodbyes and hang up. I lay and think of theories, I'm definitely over thinking this but I don't care, I shouldn't feel threatened in my own home.

There's trees surrounding my house with high branches and a barn across the field which belongs to an old farmer.

He must just be psychic, or just know me really well, he can't be peeping on me. Can he?

• • •

Do you think she was overreacting?

Tumblr// iamnateslilmama