☞E I G H T E E N

3 days later...

Roselyn Belo

Sunday, 9:47am:

"So what happened?" I grin, sitting on the edge of pool beside Grace as we watch Nate swim laps of the pool.

Grace blushes, shaking her head shyly. I nudge her side with my elbow, dying to know what happened last night on hers and Sammy's date.

"We went to the movies, McDonald's afterwards and then he walked me home, he kissed my cheek and left." She shrugs, looking down with a prominent blush on her cheeks.

"Damn, you got lucky," Nate chuckles, we both furrow our eyebrows at him. "What? He doesn't normally walk them home, he pays for their cab and sends them on their way." He says before dunking under the water and resurfacing to flick his hair back, I bite my lip as Grace nudges me.

"Nate stop distracting her, I need her attention," Grace frowns, Nate and I both laugh. "So he got my number and said he'd text but he hasn't."

"Grace it's only been a couple of hours, he's probably not even awake yet." I assure, dying to go in the pool.

"I don't think he is, I left when he was asleep and I doubt he'll wake up until at least noon." Nate inputs before disappearing like a dolphin again.

Grace hums in response, slipping into the pool.

12:11pm:

"Roselyn, can I speak to you for a second?" Dad yells from the back doors, I sit up on the sun lounger and look to my boyfriend and best friend before nodding my head and walking over to him.

"What's up?" I mutter, crossing my arms.

I haven't spoke to my dad since our chat about California, like not a word. Literally.

"I'd like to invite Nathan and his parents over for dinner tomorrow evening, I'm willing to talk about it to see what his parent's think. 6:30pm." He nods his head, looking anywhere but me before disappearing in the house.

I stand there, biting my lip.

My parents don't know about his parents kicking him out. Embrace a story of more lies.

I walk back over to the pool and sigh as I sit down on the lounger. Nate and Grace swim up to the side of the pool, laughing about something whilst resting their arms on the side. "What did he want, baby?" Nate questions.

I look up at him. "He wants us to invite your parents over for dinner tomorrow night so they can speak about California." I inform, his face turns blank. If I didn't know him, I wouldn't have been able to tell he was internally debating with himself.

"They kicked you out didn't they?" Grace questions in confusion.

Nate climbs out the pool, grabs his towel and walks off. I turn to Grace.

"Was it something I said?" She asks.

I roll my eyes, running into the house after Nate. I run through the kitchen, the living room and then up the stairs to my room. He sits on my window seat, staring out of the window. "Why can't things be normal?" He wonders aloud, I sigh and sit behind him, placing my hand on his back.

"Normal is boring," I softly say, leaning over to kiss his back. "Different is good."

"But why is different tough? Why can't it be easy? Why did I have to fuck things up? We were fine before that asshole got me arrested." He snaps, I try and calm him down by stroking his back but he jumps up and changes into sweatpants and a plain t-shirt with his Adidas shoes.

"Nate-"

"Just," he sighs, looking back at me as he grabs the door handle. "Give me some space." He says before walking out.

I bring my knees up to my chest and hug them, resting my cheek on the top of them, staring out to the field, the barn most importantly.

It's so peaceful there, why can't I just live in that, alone?

I hear two knocks on the door, I sigh and tell the visitor to go away. "Rosie, it's me, Grace." She says, pushing the door open.

I weakly smile and resume looking out the window. "Where did Nate go?" She asks.

"To get some space." I scoff, shaking my head.

"Was it because of what I said?" She quietly asks, standing by the foot of my bed, fiddling with her fingers.

I sigh and stand up, walking over to her with open arms. "No Gracie, it's just him being stupid." I assure, rubbing her back.

"What are you going to do?" She asks as we pull away and sit down on the window seat.

I shrug my shoulders, deciding to not think about it. "Let's take a walk." I suggest.

8:10pm:

It's been eight hours since Nate left, that's enough space for him right? I've text him once each hour, checking if he's okay but he hasn't replied.

Grace left after we got back from having dinner, I didn't feel like sitting with my family so I invited Grace out for dinner.

I'm startled by my phone ringing.

"Sammy?" I say, holding my phone to my ear as I sit on my bed, listening to music on my laptop.

"Where's Nate?" He asks.

I sigh, taking my glasses off to rub my eyes. "I don't know, he left and said he needed some space. Is he not with you?" I ask, concerned.

"No I thought he was with you, I was just calling to see why he isn't answering his phone, I need to tell him something." He replies.

"Yeah he left like eight hours ago, should we go look for him?" I ask, standing up to slip some shoes on. I was already wearing sweatpants and one of Nate's t-shirt since I was still on my period so I didn't really need to change.

"Well I have some pretty important news so yes." He says.

"Okay, get ready and I'll come pick you up." I order before hanging up, walking out of my room with my phone and car keys in my pockets.

To Nate💘: Where are you baby? Please answer me❤️

I wait for a reply whilst locking the front doors behind me and climbing into my car. Yet there is no reply, like normal for the past few hours.

I drive to Sammy's house and pick him up, driving around town to see if we can spot him, calling him repeatedly.

• • •

Where do you think he is?

Tumblr// iamnateslilmama