☞T W E N T Y - E I G H T

Nathan Maloley

Sunday, 12:23pm:

I hear laughing from outside our bedroom, I yawn and sit up, stretching. I frown when Roselyn wakes up.

Couldn't they keep it down?

I kiss her head and tell her to drink some water before exiting the room and checking on Grace and Sam. Though it was a surprise to see the Jacks with Sam, playing on the xbox. "Skate!" Gilinsky cheers, standing up to slap my shoulder and pull me into a bro hug.

I weakly smile. "What's up?" I reply, hugging Johnson.

"Just chillin' with my bros, how have you been?" He asks, sitting back down.

"Well, you know, jail isn't cool." I shrug, bluntly. He sighs and rubs his forehead.

"We're all sorry for that, Cameron is especially."

11 months ago, December, Saturday, 2:32am:

From Roselyn👑: Goodnight (it's actually morning but whatever), love you💖

To Roselyn👑: I'm picking you up in the morning (later in the morning😉) sleep tight, love you too😘

I lock my phone and shove it in my back pocket, focusing on my task in hand. "Yo, Nate, we need to leave now." Dallas calls from the front door.

I quickly grab the last few stashes of weed which I had to hide from my parents before shoving it all in a backpack. I walk down the stairs, shrugging the bag on and nod my head to my Johnson, Gilinsky and Sammy before walking out with Cameron; their friend who is actually my dealer, he moved over here a few years back.

All this is his doing.

I follow him to the car, raising my eyebrow at him as I see a gun sticking out from his skinny jeans, I guess he never double checked his t-shirt was untucked.

"Yo dude what the fuck." I stop as he reaches for the door handle.

He turns around, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "What's up?"

I walk closer to him, keeping my voice down so neighbours can't hear. "Why the fuck do you have a gun?"

He goes on to explain that every dealer needs a gun, that I should actually be carrying one too if shit goes down but I managed to persuade him otherwise.

"Now let me do the talking, stick to the plan." He says as we walk into the house party, I nod in reply.

Conversations are flowing civilly, I stand behind Cameron with the weed on my back, the younger jocks stare at me suspiciously.

I hand over most of the stash, except for one bag. As I open my mouth to confront them, sirens overpower the loud bass, the blue and red flashing lights flood into the room via the bay window at the front of the house.

Drunk and stoned scramble to the doors, tripping over their own feet or people who manage to fall right over and land on the floor. Cameron gestures for me to follow him, I do but end up over taking him to the back exit. I feel something cold and bold against my lower back, I think of many possibilities whilst running out onto the porch and down to the back of the garden.

I look over my shoulder, Cameron isn't in sight, and see a cop running after me. I speed up, jumping to climb over the wooden fence and successfully into a dark alley where I'm caught.

He pins my chest and cheek to the brick wall, restraining me. He takes off my backpack, despite my protest, and handcuffs me. He opens the backpack, finds the drugs which I'm too young to have and pats me down - finding a gun in the waist of my jeans.

"Look what we have here." He chuckles, I begin struggling in his restrains.

"I've never saw that in my life, I swear! It's not mine!" I argue.

Though he doesn't listen.

He says; "417." into his radio and then grabs my bag and me to drag me back to his car where he pins me against the door and chats with the other cop.

"That isn't my gun! You gotta' believe me!" I yell, they just continue talking - ignoring me.

"Sir, you have the right to remain silent. Anything you say or do can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed to you. Do you understand?"

"I haven't done nothing! That gun isn't mine-"

"Do you understand?" And with that, he throws me into the back of the cop car.

[end of flashback]

11 months later, November, Sunday, 2:25pm:

Cameron left me there, put the gun in my possession so I'd be in even more trouble. The Jacks chose Cameron, they'd known him for only a few months back then - whereas they'd known me since third grade.

Six months in jails, a minor criminal record and my whole family disowned me. The consequences I had to pay.

Two slim arms ravelling around my neck from behind bring me back into the room, I look over my shoulder and smile at Roselyn. "Could have woken me up properly." She giggles, moving to sit down beside me.

"Sorry baby, I just thought you needed some sleep." I smile, kissing her soft lips.

The Jacks notice her, smiling brightly as they hug her. "How are you guys doing? We haven't saw you in a long time, a few months isn't it?" Roselyn questions, furrowing her eyebrows at them.

I notice her facade; she's getting bitchy.

"Uh yeah, we've been super busy-"

"Too busy to text us every once in a while? Too busy hanging out with the drug dealer who got one of your best friends in jail." She retorts, glaring at the two clueless douches on the couch opposite us.

Sam pauses the game, turning to the Jacks. "She's right, you guys haven't even bothered to text us - it's like you're too good for us because you got fame and moved out here, you thought wrong fuckers because Nate and I got a studio and producer." Sam announces, I roll my eyes at an idiot of a best friend.

Roselyn suddenly jumps to look at me. "Nate what the fuck? You didn't tell me!" She exclaims, I glare at Sam for opening his mouth.

"I was gonna' tell you tomorrow night, I had it all planned out until the idiot over there spoiled it." I sigh, running my hands through my hair.

She pouts, crossing her arms before finally giving up the act and kissing me until I almost can't breathe.

"I'm so proud of you baby." She squeals, I smile and lean in to kiss her again.

• • •

Want a book cover or story idea? Go check my book out called Welcome To My Mind.

Tumblr// iamnateslilmama
IG & Twitter// yxbxtch