29. Last Time

"What are you afraid of?" Rob continued. He knew there was something more to it. Clara and I held back information from him but he can connect the dots. Surely he knows that Clara is always moving. What am I supposed to do? Drop everything to be with her? It doesn't work like that.

"I don't think I can do a long distance relationship," I answered truthfully. "If we go for it, we'll both be hurt in the end. We're better off as friends."

I could see it making sense to him. It's not that long distance relationships are impossible but they do require a lot of work. If you can survive a long distance relationship, that means your relationship is built on love and trust. It's difficult for me to trust someone when I'm not with them. I'll imagine the worst which feeds my insecurities and jealousy. My high was starting to go away and the harsh reality was returning.

"You have to talk to one another and come to a compromise. Everyone will have to make sacrifices for the bigger picture. That's what relationships are about. I dunno about you but I'd rather try than not try at all. I hope I'm making sense but you're probably still stoned." Rob grabbed the gift from me and I let him take it.

"It's starting to wear off. I didn't smoke the whole thing," I told him. "Let's find your friend."

Rob grinned and continued walking through all the rooms in search of his friend. I followed along wondering where Clara went.

"Where's Clara?" I asked.

"I thought she was with you. She went to find you when we were done talking." I brought my phone out to see if I had any missed calls or text messages but there were none.

"She's probably eating," I told him. The both of us haven't ate since noon so we were starving. Even though I ate earlier, I was starting to get hungry again.

We eventually found the birthday boy in the living room. He was talking to some people on their way out so we gave him some space. Listening in on their conversation, I found out his name is Jack and his birthday is actually on Tuesday but he's celebrating early. We walked up to him as soon as his friends left. Rob and Jack instantly greeted each other.

"Happy birthday mate!" Rob exclaimed, giving him a hug.

When they pulled apart, Rob began asking how he was doing and what his plans were for the rest of the weekend. I don't know Jack personally so I stood to the side, not wanting to interrupt. My plan was soon foiled when Rob noticed my silence and introduced me.

"Jack, this is Van. We have maths together," he said, gesturing to me. Jack held his hand out and I shook it. His grip was strong which caught me off guard. "And Van, this is Jack. We've been best mates since we were ten. Grew up in the same neighborhood until his family moved house a few years ago."

"Nice to meet you," I said shyly.

"We wanted to give you your gift before we forget. Plus it's a pain to carry," Rob joked, handing it to him. Jack turned the gift over in his hands, beaming.

"You shouldn't have! Thanks to the both of you for your thoughtful gift." Jack put the gift down and held his arms out, catching the both of us in a hug. We could see two girls approaching him from behind which meant we couldn't take our time.

"Well you're a popular man, don't want to keep your friends waiting," Rob spoke up, gesturing towards the girls behind him. Jack turned around and said hello to them.

"Thanks again for the gift and thanks for coming. I really appreciate it! Help yourself to food and there's alcohol in the fridge."

I've only met Jack for all of ten minutes but he seems like a good lad. He's exactly like Rob personality-wise so I can see why they get along. Rob later spotted some more friends but he was hesitant to leave me behind. I told him to go ahead and that I'd try to find Clara.