61. We're Moving

How can I have everything I ever wanted and lose it all in one day? Okay, I'm being dramatic but you can't blame me for being upset that my girlfriend—or should I say my ex—wants us to take a break. After I've had time to think things through, I came back begging her to give the long distance relationship a try but it's hard to change her mind once it's set.

A lot has happened since we had that talk. I've managed to pass all my classes so I was able to graduate. It was like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders making all the stress and sleepless nights worth it. I moved out of my flat which was where I spent the last three years of my life and moved back in with my parents. But before I moved back home, I stopped by the Jones's house to say goodbye. Her parents knew we were taking a break so I could focus on my career and so Clara could be with her family. They wished me luck and told me to keep in touch. Clara and I hugged one last time and it made me sad to think I won't be able to hold her like I used to. It was going to take a while to get over the heartbreak but I still hoped we could make it work. That after some time apart, the both of us will realize we still love each other.

My mum and dad were happy to have me home, even though it was only for two weeks. I spent my remaining time saying goodbye to everyone and trying to consolidate my stuff into two large suitcases. It was hard to decide what to take with me and what to leave behind, but my mum reminded me that if I ever forgot anything that I couldn't buy in the States, she'd send it to me which eased my mind. It was hard to wrap my mind around the fact that my parents were no longer an hour away but much, much farther.

It wasn't until they dropped me off at the airport that I started to wonder if I made the right decision. I was moving to a foreign country starting right at the beginning. No family, no friends, no girlfriend. But then I reminded myself that I can always go home if I don't like it. I had a long day of travel, flying from Manchester to Dublin, and then Dublin to Seattle. You've no idea how relieved I was to get rid of my suitcases at check in.

I landed in Seattle at 5:40 PM and went to baggage claim to get my suitcases. It's cheaper to take public transportation to the city but I couldn't be arsed with two large suitcases so I requested an Uber instead which cost me quite a bit of money but it was worth it. The apartment office closes at 6 PM but they made an exception to stay open later for me. After signing some paperwork, I was given the keys and I took the lift to the third floor, making my way towards my room.

The nice thing about my flat was that it was fully furnished which made things much easier. I didn't have to worry about getting a bed and furniture but I did have to buy the basics. After dropping off my luggage, I started walking around to familiarize myself with the place and to see what I needed to buy right away and what could wait. By the time I was done, there were so many things I had to buy that I was overwhelmed. Being knackered didn't help.

I took a shower because I felt gross from the day's travel and spent the rest of my night unpacking and then grabbed takeaway from an Indian restaurant nearby. It wasn't until I was lying in bed that I realized I forgot to text my parents that I was here. My mum told me to text her regardless of what time it was in the UK which would be 7 AM now.

I landed in Seattle 5 hours ago. I made it to my flat and had Indian food for dinner. I'm gonna sleep now. I'll call yous in the morning. x

I put my phone on the nightstand next to me and turned to sleep on my side. The springs in my bed creaked under my weight. It seemed like any movement—no matter how careful I am—causes it to creak. Well if I ever have sex, my poor neighbors will know! Not that I'll be having it anytime soon. Clara was still very much on my mind. Speaking of Clara.... I grabbed my phone and texted her.

Good morning. Hope you have a lovely day. x

-

I didn't set an alarm on purpose but staying up as late as possible seemed to fix things because I woke up well-rested at a decent time. It was 10 AM Saturday morning and I had a lot to do before my first day in the program which starts on Monday. I had my morning cigarette out on the balcony which I wouldn't even consider a balcony but it saved me from having to go outside to smoke and I called my parents. I was disappointed that Clara didn't respond to my message.