Chapter 2

Sun glared through the window, you could hear birds chirping outside. You lifted up in bed and glanced outside, a beautiful sunny day. Krista always complained that the birds were too loud in the morning, they'd always wake her up too early.

You could never get sick of the birds songs. In the underground birds were rare, and if they did manage to find their way in through small cracks in the ceiling, almost all couldn't find a way back out.

Many of them died, littering the streets with their corpses. Some people even ate them for food. There was always a shortage and well, people did what they had to survive.

The sight of the dead birds always left you feeling empty, that the hope of something better would never be attained. You'd be stuck in this slum forever, and death would inevitably greet you too soon.

But you were given another chance at life. You were part of the scout regimen now, training with the best titan killers in Paradise.

Getting out of bed you already saw that Krista was changed and heading out the door to the training grounds.

"Y/N hurry up, you're going to be late! I tried to wake you up but damn, you're a heavy sleeper!" She hurried off without you.

Letting out a big sigh, you swung your legs off the side of the bed. You reached up stretching your arms and neck. A slight pain bit at your arms, you checked the bandages to make sure it wasn't bleeding through. The gause was still white, all good.

You got changed quickly, into a white top and pants, bucking up the ODM straps, and throwing on your boots. A quick brush of your hair and off you went.

‐--------------------------------------------------------------

Your friends and comrades were already lined up and listening to Captian Levi give the briefing on today's training.

Trying to sneak around the back so that no one noticed you were late, you gave a small smile to Krista and Ymir.

They were always together, it was kind of cute really. Rumors went around that they were a couple, but being Kristas roommate and friend you never asked. She stayed out of your business and you did the same.

Erin, Mikasa, and Armin were standing together too. Glancing their way you noticed that Mikasa had her typical stone expression, you weren't sure if you'd ever seen her smile.

Erin glanced over when you arrived, giving you a small wave and a wink. Returning the smile you quickly shifted your eyes forward to Captian Levi.

"Today we are going to run the dummy titan course again. I want to see all you shitty brats cutting the nape with accuracy today. Most of your past performances have been sloppy and unexceptable. In the field, even small mistakes can, and will get you killed." His tone was flat as he spoke to the group.

"Lets get a move on" Levi turned and started off towards the neir by forest.

‐--------------------------------------------------------------

Five hours later Levi finally dismissed the group. Your legs and arms ached from the training, and you were absolutely starving. Sasha almost fainted around hour three, complaining that she was going to die if she didn't get some food.

Everyone started off towards the dining hall, you were chatting with Connie and Jean when a deep voice called your name.

"Y/n, come here for a minute I need have a word with you" Levi gestured you over to him.

"Yes Captian, what is it?" You asked

"Your performance today was shittier than usual. I know what your capable of Y/n, and I will not watch you half ass this training." He glared at you with those cold grey eyes.

"Sorry sir, I promise it won't happen again." Unable to meet his eyes when you responded. You always felt this pressure from others. That you were never good enough, even though you had some of the best skills.

"Tch. Also if you're going to show up late, maybe you should get more sleep instead of wandering around the halls in the middle of the night." He waited for your response, looking you up and down.

"Understood Captian" you gave him a salute and let out a breath.

Suddenly his hand was grabbing your forearm, turning it over to expose blood stained sleeves of your white shirt. You immediately flinched, trying to pull your arm back.

"Disgusting, what happened?" Levi's nose scrunched at the sight of your dirty blood stained shirt.

"Its nothing Captian, I scratched in on a tree during training. I'm going to visit Hange to get it cleaned up." Pulling your arm free of his strong grasp you tucked it close to your body.

*Thank the gods he didn't actually pull up your sleeve....* you thought to yourself.

"Very well, get on with it then." He nodded you off towards HQ turning to collect the training materials.

"Thank you Captian" running off to catch up with everyone, your heart was pounding out of your chest. Not only from running, but almost having your secret found out.

‐--------------------------------------------------------------

Finally back at base, you walked to the infirmary where Hange helped heal and stitch up the injured recruits. She greeted you with her warm and animated smile!

"HEY Y/N!" She practically screamed as you walked into the infirmary.

"Hey hange, can I get some gause and extra tape. No big deal I just got a couple scratches from a tree during training" lying always came so easy to you.

"Absolutely, did you need me to check them out for you, clean anything with some antiseptic?" Hange said reaching for your arm.

"OH no thanks, I'm fine it's really not that bad!" Another lie...

"Sure thing, here you go" She passed you a stack of gause and some tape.

"Thanks so much!" You gave her a quick Salute and walked back to your room.

You were still starving, and were jealous that your friends were probably enjoying some ale and bread right now. But you knew you had to clean up your arm and change before going to the dining hall. You couldn't risk anyone else seeing.

‐--------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this chapter was okay. Still trying to figure out my writing style!