Chapter 23

Rain pattered against the window glass. The sky was a dull grey, the sun unable to shine through the thick cloud cover. Thunder rumbled in the distance and you sat up in bed, rubbing your eyes and stretching. Looking around the room you noticed how clean everything looked, polished almost. Standing up you didn't have any pants on, just Levi's dress shirt hanging off your body, you shivered slightly at the dampness that had settled in thanks to the rain.

You glanced at the bedside table and ran a finger along the smooth wood and chuckled to yourself.

Has Levi been cleaning my room?  

The door opened, Levi walked in quietly with a tray in his hands, carrying two cups of tea and a plate with some scones. You smiled as he entered the room, Levi stopped dead in his tracks, staring at you with wide eyes looking you up and down. Your face went red hot...

What's wrong, what is he staring at...

You glanced down, Levi's white shirt was unbuttoned slightly at the top, your cleavage peaking through, nipples hard and visible throughout the fabric. Suddenly feeling very exposed you covered your chest, arms crossing over to cover yourself from his piercing eyes.

Levi shook his head slightly, snapping back to reality he placed the tea down on the small desk you and Krista shared.

"Good morning y/n, how did you sleep?" Levi's voice was soft, he reached for the tea cup without lemon and passed it to you.

Giving a half smile you took the cup, sipping on the warm liquid, it instantly warming you from the dampness in the room. "Mmmmh, thank you. I slept well, no nightmares"

"I'm glad to hear that" Levi returned a small smile. He sipped from his cup before walking over to you. Your heart already racing, Levi took you into his arms, holding you gently against his chest. 

"y/n..... I'm..... I don't..." Levi fumbled to find the words to say. 

You shook your head against his chest. "I'm sorry for worrying you Levi.... What Eren and I did was stupid, we shouldn't have...."

Levi let go of you and took your face between his hands, grey eyes piercing into yours. "Stop.... please don't apologize. Those men.... what happened." Levi's voice cracked, tears started to form in his eyes, his bottom lip quivering slightly. Taking you back into his arms he held you so close. He sniffled a couple times and you knew he was crying, you placed a hand on his chest, feeling his heart race under it. His hand came to meet yours, fingers intertwining. Levi cleared his throat and pulled your hand away, eyes on your wrist.

"y/n, I know you cut last night... I'm not angry trust me, I understand why..... why you did it. But I know you stole the razor back. Please I cannot watch you hurt yourself any longer, I want to help you get better." Levi's eyes still filled with tears, you could see the pain in them.

Your eyes stung with tears, they flowed down your face, leaving wet streaks. "I just.... I don't know how else to cope Levi. I'm scared, the voices are so strong sometimes, the nightmares, the things that have happened to me" Your voice was raising in volume

"Shhh..." Levi held your head against his chest, fingers twisting in your hair. "I know, its okay to be scared... But you need to get better. Not for me, but for yourself. You deserve happiness, peace.... to not hurt yourself" 

Levi placed one hand on your chin, tilting your head upwards and placed a gentle kiss against your lips. You flinched, the memories of those men flashed in your mind. You pulled away quickly, shaking your head. Eyes cloudy from the tears, you looked at Levi. Pain filled his eyes, he tucked a strand of your hair behind your ear.

"Im sorry" your voice quiet.

"Please don't be sorry y/n. Lets just have our tea, its getting cold"

You and Levi sat on your bed watching the rain fall outside the window. The scones were delicious, cranberry orange flavored, your taste buds were tingling with joy from the sweet and bitter.  Savoring every single bite of it, you picked up some tiny crumbs off the plate and put them into your mouth. Levi chuckled beside you as he watched, a small smile reaching his lips.

"So... how about a nice hot bath?" His eyes were shining with warmth now as he took your hand in his, rubbing the back of it. Something fluttered inside your stomach looking at him, his handsome features, his smile, the way he acted around you. How over the past little while he turned from your grumpy intimidating Captain, to this gentle caring man. Someone who made you feel safe.... dare you say it... Loved?

Nodding yes you smiled slightly "That sounds nice"

Levi quickly packed some of your items while you got changed quickly. Leaving your dorm room you both headed off to his quarters.

------------------------------------------------------