𝙵𝚘𝚛𝚝𝚢-𝙾𝚗𝚎

Y/N stared at the empty cup as Hoseok smiled, his hand kept on his chin.  "Kamsahamnida." She simply said, watching the sunset.  Down below, she saw the gymnasium lit.  She could only hope that her team wins it all.

-

"Y/N-AH!"

Y/N turned around to see her only friend chase after her as she exited the school and waited on the bus stop.  "Huh?" She asked confused.  She watched as Dahyun came up to her, panting with her hands on her knees.

The latter caught her breath and looked at Y/N.  "WHY HAVE YOU BEEN SKIPPING PRACTICE LATELY?!  HUH?!" Dahyun held Y/N's shoulders and shook her back and forth.  "Solar-unnie has been worried sick!" She worriedly exclaimed.

"Ah, right," Y/N nodded slowly and looked around for the bus.  "Just not feeling it."

"EH?!?  WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?!"

"I'm just not feeling it, Dahyun-ssi."

"WHY-?"

"Dahyun.  Please." Y/N stared at Dahyun with blank eyes before looking back at the bus stop schedule on the pole.  She groaned quietly as the bus was supposed to be here.  "Why does the bus... this is really so inconvenient.  It's basically telling me to run home, how rude." Y/N cursed inside her head.

Dahyun watches her friend glare intensely at the bus schedule on the pole, getting shivers as she imagined herself as the bus schedule.  "Y/N-shi, are you okay?" she asked cautiously as Y/N seemed to be getting frustrated by the second.  Y/N immediately pulled out her phone and started to frantically tap on the screen.  "Y/N-ssi?" Dahyun asked again, lightly tapping the latter's shoulder to get her attention.

Y/N looked up at Dahyun but then immediately put her phone down and tightened the straps on her backpack.  "I hate running this far..." she groaned mentally.  "Gotta go, I'll see you later." She nodded her head to Dahyun before running off.

She stared as Y/N began to look smaller as she ran farther from her.  Her heart started beating faster as she contemplated whether to follow after her or not.  She kept checking her phone, 9:00 PM.  Dahyun bit her lip and sighed, she started jogging lightly after Y/N.  Not too fast to catch up but not too slow to lose sight of her.

"I don't know what's up with you, Y/N-shi," she thought as she turned a corner.  "But I can't leave you on your own right now, I have a feeling you need someone," Dahyun nearly tripped on the pavement, distracted by her concern, but kept jogging.  "And I'm not leaving you alone on whatever you're facing."

After nearly an hour of jogging and walking behind Y/N, Dahyun finds herself more in the countryside of the province.  She looked ahead to see Y/N panting heavily but continuing to briskly walk.  Minutes later, they arrive in a poorer neighborhood.  The houses were more run down than the ones closer to Kimsang Junior High.

Still carefully trailing Y/N, Dahyun sees Y/N enter a run down apartment carefully.

"Annyeonghaseyo harabeoji, sorry I'm late, the bus wasn't operating properly today."

"Ah!  My child, good evening," Dahyun heard as she snuck to one of the windows.  "Don't worry so much about me, I am still living, Y/N." She heard chuckling.

Y/N looked down at her bedridden grandfather and gave a sad smile.  She took in the sight, despite the dim light in the small studio apartment.  It didn't take much for her to realize that he was on his way.  "Did you eat, appa?  I'll make your favorite tonight." She ignored the thought and turned around to face the kitchen.

"Ah, Y/N-ah, don't bother cooking for me tonight," he croaked and gently smiled at Y/N.  She handed him a cup of water, he carefully drank it and placed the cup lightly down at the counter next to him.  "I am not hungry, you go eat, my child.  You had practice, remember what I always say about eating after practice?" He playfully stared at Y/N.

Y/N sadly smiled and nodded, "Ne, but I'm still going to make you some soup, appa."

"You're so stubborn." He laughed.

"I wonder where I got that from." Y/N smiled and laughed as well.

Dahyun peeked over the window, her heart slowly breaking as she caught a glimpse of what Y/N was really going through.  A small studio apartment with a dim light and barely working appliances.  One mattress that is occupied by Y/N's grandfather and a blanket on the floor next to the mattress and a small plushie as the pillow.  Everything was small and compact, paper stacked in one corner and envelopes stacked on top of the small counter.  She wiped away a fallen tear as Y/N seemed to be working hard at this young age.  Dahyun quietly leaves the vicinity and calls for her brother to take her home.

Pots clanking and the sound of food sizzling on the stove can be heard.  Y/N's grandfather began humming to fill the quiet air.  "How is the volleyball team?  Last time I heard of Kimsang Junior High, they were a powerhouse.  Are you doing well?" He asked.

Y/N froze for a split second then continued to cook.  "Ne.  But it's hard, appa.  I'm too small," she sighed, flinching as a small drop of oil hit her hand.  "Everyone's so big and tall and they jump so high.  I can't reach that high, appa." She seasoned the vegetables.

Her grandfather chuckled and shook his head.  "Ah, your mother said the same thing," he smiled.  "She would complain and blame it on me for her lack of height, too bad her mother's genes didn't transfer," he giggled.  Y/N smiled at the thought of her young mother.  "Yah, if you're going to blame me, blame it on my grandfather for your lack of height, he's the culprit!" Y/N laughed to this.

"Eomeoni complained about her height- she played volleyball too?"

"Ah, ne.  She played in high school and was one of the best liberos in the whole province.  I coached her and her team at Ikjin Academy," he spoke.  "Ahh, the old days!  I wonder how Ikjin is doing now.  We made it all the way to Nationals but lost the semi-finals." He sighed, reminiscing.

Y/N smiled as she listened, "The Great Coach Washi?"  Her grandfather beamed at the sound of his title.

"Ne.  If only I wasn't bedridden, I would still be coaching."

"Would you still be playing if you were still in shape?" Y/N asked, sitting down crisscrossed, placing their food on the small counter next to the bed.

Washi smiled and nodded, "Volleyball Star Washi on the rise!  Washi takes flight at 170 centimeters!"  The two laughed at the past volleyball high school magazines references.

Y/N fed him gently as they ate in quiet again.  They shared from one bowl and enjoyed the taste of beef soup.  "Was it good, appa?" She asked.  He nodded happily, she smiled and began cleaning the dishes.

"Y/N, my child."

"Ne, appa?"

"Promise me one thing," he smiled gently at her.  Y/N turned around and tilted her head.  "Fly, my child.  Even at your height, anything is possible.  Reach for the sky, as it is your only limit," Y/N slowly nodded.  Washi grinned, "Fly.  Soar.  Keep your head high, no bird looks down unless they look to nosedive straight into the ground.  And if you do nosedive, the only way is to go back up."