when Carter gets jealous (requested)

"Oh, it's so good to see you!" Taylor's friend said as they shared a big hug at the door, making you smile as you and Carter sat on the sofa.

You know it's been far too long since Taylor has had any downtime to hang out with her friends. She's a busy bee, either spending her time working or with you and Carter.

But her friend finally had a few free hours and Taylor wanted to hang out, so it was the perfect chance for them to catch up and hang out.

This said friend, however, had a two-year-old daughter.

That was no big deal at all, but she'd be bringing her over today, so Taylor could see how much she's grown since they last hung out, which was a few busy months ago.

"Oh, look how big you've gotten!" Taylor grinned and bent down to hug her friend's daughter.

Her words made Carter turn his head, watching from the sofa as she paid some attention to the little girl.

He's seven, so he's pretty easy to keep occupied these days. All it takes is you turning on shows he loves, letting him play games on your phone, or eating a snack, so you weren't worried about him getting rambunctious when he's been pretty calm so far today.

"Come on in!" Taylor grinned.

The three of them sat down on the floor, the little girl sitting on the floor.

"Do you have a toy?" Taylor grinned as she noticed the little girl's toy in her hand.

"Show Taylor your toy," her friend smiled, watching as her daughter excitedly held her toy out to show Taylor.

Carter turned his head once more, watching as Taylor played with the little girl and showered her with attention.

"Wow, that's so cool!" Taylor said.

Noticing how quiet Carter was, you turned to look at him.

"You okay, buddy?"

He shook his head before putting your phone down in your lap, folding his arms over his chest with a pout on his face.

"You don't want to play more games?"

He shook his head.

"Why do you look so sad? Tell me what it is."

He shook his head again but looked back at Taylor and the little girl, watching as Taylor blew raspberries on her stomach and tickled her.

"I want to go to my room." He said.

"No, buddy, not yet. I know something's wrong. Can you please tell me what it is?"

Taylor's laugh was loud and infectious, causing you to look away from your little boy and over at her.

That's when you realized it.

All of her attention was currently on her friend's daughter.

There's nothing wrong with that. But Carter isn't used to that. He's used to being the center of Taylor's universe, her attention always being on you or him.

"Are you jealous that Taylor is paying attention to her and not you?"

He looked at you with sad eyes but slowly nodded his head.

"Okay. Thanks for telling me."

He didn't say anything. He just continued to look oh so sad, which broke your heart.

"Are you hungry? Do you want a little snack?"

"Okay." He agreed.

"You stay here. I'll make it for you. Taylor, baby, can you help me real quick? I need you for a minute." You said as you walked to the kitchen.

"Yeah, my love. I'm right behind you." She said as she excused herself from her friend for a moment. "What's up, my love? What do you need help with?"

"I know you're having fun with your friend and her little girl so please don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way."

She frowned but nodded for you to continue.

"Carter is jealous."

"Jealous? Of what?" She chuckled.

"That you're paying attention to someone's little girl instead of him." You said and she sighed, catching on.

"I didn't think he'd get jealous."

"I didn't either. He's usually laidback and wants to stay with me when guests are over. But he's jealous."

She looked at you in sadness.

"I don't know what to do. I don't want him to be sad but I'm not ready for them to go yet."

"No, Taylor, I know. I completely understand. I'm not saying you need for them to leave before they're ready. I just wanted to tell you because, honestly, I'm not sure what to do either. He's not a jealous kid. I'm not used to this."

She put her hands on your shoulders before giving you a kiss, trying to calm you down.

"I have an idea." She said before going to the doorway. "Carter, honey? Come here for a minute."

He got up from the sofa and walked into the kitchen, where he was instantly scooped up in Taylor's arms.

She tickled him and he couldn't help but laugh.

The sight of his frown fading made you feel a little better.

"Okay, buddy. We need to have a little talk." She said as she gently put him in the chair.

"Am I in trouble?" He asked as he looked between you and Taylor.

"No. Not at all." You assured.

"No. Your mom just told me that you're feeling jealous, huh?"

He shrugged his shoulders.

"Carter," Taylor spoke and watched as he nodded his head, confessing to being jealous. "Why? Because I'm spending time with her instead of you?"

He nodded as he looked into Taylor's eyes.

"You know you're still my whole world, right? Even if I spend time with her, she'll be gone in a few hours. But you're not going anywhere. We've got a lot of time to spend together still. In fact, we'll do something fun after they go."

"Like what?" He asked.

"I don't know. What would you like to do? What's the first thing that pops into that head of yours when I ask you that?"

"Ice cream!"

You both laughed.

"And?"

"Movie!"

"Ice cream and a movie. I think that can be arranged." Taylor smiled.

"Really?"

"Yeah. Of course, it can. So, will you feel better if we do that after? Will you not be jealous?"

"Okay." He agreed.

"Good. Thank you, buddy. And never forget, you're my little partner in crime. Even if I spend some time paying attention to someone else, no one tops my time with you. I love you so much."

"Love you." He smiled and Taylor kissed his forehead.

"So, we'll spend some time together in a few hours. Get excited."

She got up and got ready to exit the kitchen, only for him to excitedly talk to you about it.

"Are you excited?" You asked.

"Yeah!" She heard him excitedly say and her heart fluttered, making her feel just as excited about spending some time with him later on.