Just a little something (Chapter 15)

I had made it home and was just sitting at my desk scrolling mindlessly through youtube. I was a bit excited for later because Eli said he had something planned and was going to pick me up around 4 ish. I had two hours so I wasn't worried about getting ready yet. I continue to be bored until I have 30 minutes until I leave so I start getting ready. He said dress nicely so I decided to wear a cute dress that was kind of casual. It wasn't anything fancy, it was just cute. It was a green dress with flowers around it. I then brushed my hair and did some light makeup. I had a couple minutes left so I grabbed a jacket, my purse, my phone, and headed downstairs.

I put on my shoes and look out the window just in time to see a car pull up. It was Eli. I smile and open the door, being greeted with a calm breeze. I walk over to his car and sit in the passenger seat. I see Eli wearing a nice jacket that covers his shirt with some jeans.

"You look really pretty." He smiles at me, his eyes crinkling. His smile is contagious and I can't help but smile and blush at his comment.

"Thanks, you look very handsome Eli." I smile back at him. He laughs with a pink tint on his face.

"Thank you." He says as he turns his head back to the road and begins to drive.

"So where are we going?" I ask after a couple minutes of driving. I looked around outside of the car to see a bunch of trees.

"Somewhere special. You'll see, it's a surprise." He laughs.

"Okayyy." I groan. I hated surprises, they always made me so anxious. My stomach turns in circles as we continue driving. He eventually stops and pulls into an empty dirt parking lot.

"Just follow me, I found this really cool place." He smiles at me. He then hops out of the car and opens my door before I do. "M'lady." He says and takes a bow.

"Thank you, good sir." I say and bow back at him, causing us to laugh.

"Okay okay so close your eyes, I have to grab some stuff out of the trunk but just stay here and don't look." He says excitedly and runs around to the back of the car. I do as he asked and close my eyes, not turning around. I feel a hand grab mine. "Just follow my lead. Don't open your eyes. Trust me." He says and he pulls me forward and I follow anxiously.

"Okay." I mutter and continue walking where I can tell he is. He leads me for a minute until he stops and I hear the sound of running water. I raise an eyebrow but keep my eyes closed.

"And.. wait a second" He says and he lets go of my hand. I can hear him moving around but I keep my eyes closed despite my curiosity. "Okay open your eyes." He says. I open my eyes and look around, my eyes widen and my mouth drops open.

"Oh my- wow this is amazing." I say, looking out at the beautiful view. We were at a trail where there was a view of a waterfall and you could see the sky as well, the colors mixing and the white clouds floating through the cotton candy sky. I stand there in awe, looking around. I turn to Eli who is sitting on a picnic blanket with a picnic basket. I smile as I sit down with him.

"You like it?" He asks with a nervous chuckle.

"Yeah.. I do. Thank you so much Eli." I smile brightly at him, unable to let my smile down. He puts the picnic basket in the middle of us and I open it. "Aw you got all my favorite foods." I say, my voice going a bit more high pitched. I feel like tearing up but I don't.

"Well after what happened yesterday it's the least I could do." He says softly with a shrug, smile never faltering.

"Thank you so much, I love it." I say gratefully and pull out a sandwich. I take it out of the bag it was in and take a bite. It was so good. Peanut butter and honey with banana on a picnic was good. I eat it quickly and look in to see cookies but I decide to wait. The sun is setting since it gets darker earlier and I wanted to watch. I look to the sky and take a breath, studying all the details of the color changing sky. It was a fading color that was now pink-ish orange and the clouds were light pink. There were a few bright stars that were visible already since there was no light pollution around here. I move over next to Eli and lay my head on his shoulder to where I can still see the sky.

"Pretty, isn't it?" I ask.

"Yeah" I hear him mutter. I continue to watch until the sun is basically fully set and almost all the stars are out. You can just barely see some orange at the bottom of the sky. I sit up and take my head off Eli. I reach into the basket and take a cookie out, taking a bite. Eli does the same.

"These are good." I say with a mouth full, causing Eli to laugh.

"Yeah, my mom made them." He says.

"I am going to have to get that recipe." I laugh, finishing the cookie. I look at Eli who has finished his cookie too and is looking at me.

"August.." He says quietly.

"Eli?" I say in a questioning tone. Butterflies are swarming around in my stomach and I have to stop myself from shaking.

"I-" He starts but I cut him off by kissing him. Yeah. I kissed him. He kisses back and we both pull away a second after, looking at each other. "I was going to ask if you'd be my girlfriend." He laughs with a sweet smile. Although it's dark I can pick up a hint of red on his cheeks and I'm sure he can see how red I am too.

"Of course I would." I say happily. He grabs my chin gently and lifts my face up a bit more to his and moves his face closer, our noses touching.

"I love you" He whispers.

"I love you too." I whisper back. He moves closer "Can I?" He asks and I nod, and with that closes the gap, kissing me again. I melt into the kiss. Although it's dark, its like colors are swarming around us, making the world seem so bright it could light up space. We pull apart and look into each other's eyes. I get lost in his gray eyes, the same color of the winter sky, the color that always calms me.

"I'm glad you're here." He whispers and grabs my hand, intertwining our fingers.

"I am too.. I'm glad we are here." I whisper back with a smile. He leans up against the tree and I lay next to him, his arms around me.

I smile. He smiles. And for once, I feel like I'm truly living.