Mom? (Chapter 17)

I open my eyes to the sun shining through my half-opened curtains. I groan and rub my eyes before sitting up. The week had gone by quickly and Britney had left me alone, as did the guy. The only thing she did would glare at me when I was holding Eli's hand or even just talking to him, but I ignored it. She never told the school about anything, so no one knew anything she threatened to tell. Anyway, I step out of bed and stretch, followed by a yawn. I walk downstairs in my PJs and head to the kitchen. I look in and see someone quite unexpected.

"Mom?" I ask, causing her eyes to look up and meet mine. She smiles fondly and walks over to me with her arms wide.

"Hi sweetie." She says and hugs me tightly. I just stood there, shocked at seeing her. "I missed you." She says in a hushed voice. I hug her back lightly and she lets go, as do I. "Come sit down, I have news." She says and heads to the living room. I follow quietly, anxiety forms in my stomach. Whenever she said she had news, it usually wasn't good.

"I-" I say but stop myself, holding back my words. She didn't hear me. She just sits down on the couch and I sit next to her.

"So sweetie.. The news." She says, her eyes filled with worry. "I.. I um.. I found someone." She says and the words stab me. I know what she means. She has a new boyfriend. I freeze and a lump in my throat forms, making me unable to speak. "He's very kind and he is coming over tomorrow." She fiddles with her fingers, looking away from my eyes. My heart dropped into my stomach, it felt as if I'd just been stabbed in the back with the sharpest knife. No words came out of my mouth even though I had a million things to say. I just look at her, pain visible in my eyes. I was scared of any guy she brought home. She had brought a couple guys home in the past and they were all bad. They would either insult me, slut shame me, or hit me. They didn't come back after that but it still happened. My mom stopped bringing anyone to our house after that but this.. This hurt. I hold back tears and force a smile when she looks up to me.

"I-I'm happy for you.." I croak out and stand up swiftly, walking back up the stairs.

"Wait-" I hear before I close my door and lie down in my bed. I cover myself with my blankets and bury my head in my pillow to muffle my cries. It wasn't just that I was scared but also that she was replacing my dad. He did horrible things to us in the end but before all that my parents were so in love and I long for those days to come back so knowing she's leaving all those behind when I haven't stings. Even if I know leaving it behind is for the best, it still hurts. My cries soften as the hours pass, music playing in my ears from my headphones. I gain some strength and grab my phone.

9 messages 4 missed calls from Boo <3

I sit up and open the messages quickly.

Boo <3

Goodmorning :D

Are you free today??

August???

You okay?

You sleep late 

Lemme know when you're free

Okay are you good?

You have never slept this long

I'm coming over

                                                               Sorry I woke up late and my mom came home

Okay well ig I'll meet her bc I'm here

I read the message as there was a ring from my doorbell. I quickly wipe my eyes and run down the stairs. I see my mom already at the door and she welcomes him in.