Chapter 5

After the encounter he had the other day and witnessing the leather jacket clad boys, Michael was back at the Boardwalk the next night, purchasing a black leather jacket from the Punk Store. He smirked at his reflection in the mirror, liking how the jacket fit him. It was the kind of jacket the boys and the girl were wearing the other night. He walked along after purchasing the jacket and stopped by an ear piercing stand. He had noticed that the boys each had one ear pierces. In his desire to fit in, he considered getting his ears pierced.

"It's a rip-off." An unfamiliar voice said. Michael jumped and turned around. He was shocked to see Star again. This time, he noticed that she was accompanied by the other girl he had seen. He noticed that up close, she looked to be about 19 years of age. Her [e/c] eyes shone with a sort of teenage mischief. Michael smiled slightly.

"Hi..." He said, at a loss for words, just like he had been last night. [Y/N] looked the male up and down and placed her hand on her hip. She wore a white tank top and a light blue skirt, a complete change compared to the clothes she had worn last night. He noticed that she also wore a black leather jacket around her shoulders. It seemed a little big on her so Michael assumed that it belonged to one of the boys.

"If you want your ear pierced," she glanced at Star. "She'll do it." She said. The girl turned to Star and leaned into the other girl's ear.

"I'll leave him to you." She whispered. It was quiet enough that only the two of them would hear it but loud enough to be heard over all the noise. The girl moved away from Star and looked at Michael one again before walking off. Star and Michael watched the girl's retreating form before they looked at each other once again. Star started walking away and Michael followed, the two moving along the busy Boardwalk. Michael looked at her.

"Your friend was certainly interesting." He said. Star smiled slightly.

"Yeah. [Y/N] is extremely confident and independent. She is in a relationship with all of the boys you saw last night." She said. Michael stared at her in astonishment.

"Wait, you mean that your friend [Y/N] is in a relationship with four guys? Is that even possible?" He asked. Star shrugged her shoulders.

"They make it work. They always get weird stares from the people around them, but they don't care." Star explained. Michael nodded in understanding, looking away from her. He looked back at her again.

"What's your name?" He asked. Star looked at him and smiled slightly.

"Star." She said. Michael scoffed slightly in amusement.

"Oh. Your folks, too, huh?" He asked. Star looked at him and frowned slightly.

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"Ex-hippies. My mom was one. I came this close to being called Moon Child, or Moon Beam or something," he paused, a moment of silence coming between them. He looked at Star again. "But Star's great. I like Star." Michael complimented. Star smiled.

"Me to." She said. Michael smiled at her. He placed his hand over his heart..

"I'm Michael." He said, introducing himself. Star smiled at hearing his name.

"Michael's great. I like Michael." She said. Michael smiled awkwardly at Star's playfulness. For a moment they walked in silence until Star broke the silence, "I guess you're new around here." She guessed. Michael nodded and put his hands in his pockets.

"Sort of. We used to come here during the summers when I was kid. Now we're here on a permanent basis." He said. While Michael didn't seem particularly excited at the situation he was in, Star seemed pleased by the news. Michael looked at her and after a beat of silence asked, "Are you hungry? Wanna get something to eat?" He asked. Star smiled and him and nodded.