22 | a newfound hope

"Someone stole all of the drugs in our second green-labeled shipment

"Someone stole all of the drugs in our second green-labeled shipment." Ace informed all of us in his office. The fireplace was lightened, warming up the room and giving it more dark shadows. It was in the early morning at almost eight but the stormy weather outside painted the sky as nighttime. We'd just woke up and he'd called all of us into his office. The twins and Salvo came, too, in part of their training. 

He lifted his glass of whiskey and drained all of it. As soon he did it, he poured himself another one. I didn't blame him even if it was way too early to be drinking. All of us could use a drink, especially in those times like now.

"Is that like only one hundred and thousand dollars worth?" Apollo asked, frowning.

"Yes, it is." Ace replied.

"Then why bother wasting our men on that?" Salvo scoffed. "That money is worth only pocket money."

Ares snorted at that - man-spreading on one of the couches, probably half listening. Apollo and Salvo sat on each side. Noah sat on a leather plush chair on his tablet, scanning through the signs of progress of the shipments and security. Alex stood apart from us, as usual, leaning against the doorway with arms crossed- studying us in silence. I sat opposite Ace who was sitting behind his table.

I just checked in with Ariana before I came in here and she was fast asleep cuddling with Pumpkin. Though she usually would be awake at the time of this day. Strange.

"You have a lot left to learn." Ace shook his head. "If we allow this slip through our fingers, the others will find that as an invitation to steal another of our shipments. Perhaps one with far more worth than this one."

"Oh." Salvo and Apollo said at the same time.

"Ahem." Noah cleared his throat and we all looked at him. He had a dumbfounded expression on his face which confused me. "The camera was disabled since 4:23 a.m."

We all froze. "And why were we not informed sooner?" Ace asked, void of emotion but I could catch a flash of annoyance in his eyes.

"I didn't see this until now!" Noah defended himself.

"You're already in trouble for speaking to me in a tone a few days ago. You're digging your own grave, Noah."

"It's not my fault!"

"If you weren't my brother, you would be thrown in a warehouse." Ace said coldly as if Noah didn't reply. "You're the top Italian hacker and someone just made a fool out of us. That simply cannot happen. Especially in these times. You're not doing your job well enough if someone managed to outsmart you - us."

Noah grimaced.

I sighed and spoke up before Ace could smooth the air a bit. "The guards didn't raise any suspicion of a break-in. So it's someone inside. We cannot be fighting right now. We need to find out what exactly happened."