27 | a large shadow

The usual cheerful and happy Apollo was quickly becoming moody and a bit annoying

The usual cheerful and happy Apollo was quickly becoming moody and a bit annoying. I couldn't count the times I tried to ask him what was wrong. Each time I only received one or two forced words - coming out as either grumbles or mutters. At first, I was concerned because it might be related to the rescue mission the others had gone on two days ago but he - my former teacher who taught me to hack - had reassured me all of it went smoothly through the new phone I've gotten.

Later I began to lack interest as Apollo began to become my shadow in the past two days. He was a bit more overprotective than usual and alert all of the time. He even followed me into the room at night - sleeping on a mattress, the one that the maids had brought in, lying on the floor beside my bed. He waited outside my door when I bathed or peed - to my disappointment.

I didn't see any signs of Eleanor. I missed the comfort I got from her grandmotherly aura greatly. I felt the most relaxed with her. After all, she was the first who I made a full conversation with.

I also didn't see Noah either and deep down I missed him although I had yet to admit it to myself completely. Alex, of course, joined the list of people that had disappeared from the face of the earth. Well, my world, at least. I assumed he was busy working as the temporary Don, with Ace gone. Again, I never really seen him around that much. He was the black sheep of family, I suppose.

I was getting too comfortable around them. I found myself revealing too much of myself around them and I was beginning to trust them.

I didn't know what I was thinking when I opened up a bit to Noah a few nights ago. I even revealed a hint about me being the hacker. Thankful, he seems to not notice. He may be a genius but he was clueless when it came to humans. 

But it reminded me I had to be careful but Eleanor's words kept coming into my brain.

Take the first steps, Ariana. She had said to me as she stroked my hair down I blinked in silence up at her. It will lead you to love. Don't you want that? Don't you miss it? To have someone love you greatly and to depend on someone else? To free fall and trust them to always catch you.

It had cut deep into my heart and the realization hit me, I did want it very much. The endless war in my mind led to my babble to Noah about the flowers. I regretted it a bit but that regret merely came from my logical side. All while my heart was taking over my control, crying out for some love and trust.

I was aware that no matter how much I tried to resist the feeling, it was nice to hug and cuddle with someone again. I had missed the human touch and the feeling of warmth or comfort that came with it.

I was pulled out of my thought as I heard an impatient knock, startling me. The water splashed around me and on the floor from the bathtub as I jerked.

"Ariana?" Apollo's voice came. "You okay? You've been in there for twenty minutes."

I sighed softly in frustration. My usual baths would take approximately an hour but with the brother with the lowest patient breathing down my neck, I had to rush everything I did. He even made me push my shit out faster, which didn't feel satisfying at all.