24 | wither and rot

For the hundredth time, I let out another heavy sigh as I desperately tried to push the brothers' loud arguments out

For the hundredth time, I let out another heavy sigh as I desperately tried to push the brothers' loud arguments out. It was nearing my bedtime and all of us were huddled in the kitchen around the white marble swirl countertop in the middle of the room. For the past ten minutes, they were arguing about who my favorite brother was. 

And in these minutes, not even once did these idiots ask me who my favorite sibling was.

Half of me was happy that they didn't ask me so I wasn't in the awkward position, of having to choose one. The other side of me wanted to participate so that the argument would be over already.

"-first place!" My head snapped up to see Salvo shouting. I remembered the game they spoke of two nights ago and my curiosity was piqued ever since.

"Instead of playing your stupid bet games, why don't we ask Ariana instead?" Noah's usual irrational tone came out. I didn't know whether I should be thanking him or be annoyed at the current spotlight on me.

"Who's your favorite sibling so far?" Apollo grinned as he ruffled my head. I pulled away, holding back a scowl. I patted my hair down to smooth it out as best I could. I've found myself a new obsession: hair. I kept finding myself a bit too focused on my hairstyles each morning in the mirror and just combing through them with my fingers, finding some strange solace in the comforting feeling. I suppose it was because all of my body was damaged except my hair.

I shrugged. "I don't know."

"Oh, come on!" Salvo whined. "Just say one, a teensy name! I'll give you a hint." He leaned closer to me and whispered so only I could hear. "It's Salvo."

He withdrew with a grin and nodded his head at me in encouragement. I shook my head at his ridiculous antics.

"I got you a trampoline!" Apollo said. "Therefore I should be the favorite one."

A small smile graced my lips at his obsession with the trampoline. I was beginning to suspect Elijah was right, he probably used my birthday as an excuse to get one. "I haven't even tried it yet." I deadpanned.

"I'll get it to here by tomorrow and we'll try it," Apollo spoke with newfound excitement. "Make sure not to exhaust yourself with walking around. Save your energy!"

"Okay," I said, making his smile bigger.

"Seriously, choose one!" Salvo cried, obviously impatient.

"Everybody silent. Let her think." Elijah said and I shot him a discreet glare that he thankfully missed. Under the new spotlight on me, I slightly cowered. All seven pairs of eyes were on me, waiting impatiently for my answer.

My lips parted to say something but closed them. I pondered over my options. I never really thought about who my favorite one was - just the ones who I trusted the most. Salvo and Noah is the one who I trusted the most, although not completely yet. After all the monsters hurt them too. I've read this from somewhere, 'the enemy of your enemy is your friend'.