45 | never the same

I stepped out of the car with a subtle deep breath and everybody followed suit

I stepped out of the car with a subtle deep breath and everybody followed suit. My legs instantly shook under my weight and I swayed a bit, catching myself by clutching the car's sides to support myself. Elijah was there to grab ahold of me. Salvo went to the truck to get my wheelchair out.

I looked over to find Luca and the others coming toward me.

"Are you okay?" Luca's panicked tone rushed as soon he halted in front of me, hands reaching out for me but paused midway and withdrew.

I nodded. "I'm fine. I just can't really walk right now. I think I exhausted it too much yesterday."

Luca's mouth tightened into a straight line and his fists clenched. Anger flashed in his eyes and I imagined he was thinking of my torture. After all, the brothers were also still sensitive about it even now - almost a half year later. "Does it hurt?"

"Nothing that I can't handle." I gave him a small smile but his signs of anger seemed to increase tenfold although he returned me a forced smile and nod. The tense atmosphere lessened a bit as Salvo returned to my side with the wheelchair. I sank into it and tried to relax my muscles.

"I'll do it," Luca announced, taking the handles of my wheelchair - nudging away Salvo who grumbled under his breath only to get a smack to his head. I allowed him to push me, despite the fact I could just simply push the console to move. I glanced over my shoulder to look up at him and he smiled down at me, which I returned with a quick, fleeting smile before I turned back to my sitting position. I had my hands clasped on my lap. The feeling of anxiety that came with meeting or merely being around strangers flooded my being.

Especially when I was meeting the sons of the father who was a blight in my life.

'It's okay,' the voices comforted me in a small whisper. 'You've gone through a much worst. This is nothing.'

'Pick a damn side.' I thought to myself - to the voice inside my head. The voice could be a great help to me, especially while I was a captive. It distracted me from the pain and when I didn't know what to do, it told me. While I was a mindless creature with no memories - with no mind of great use - the voice was my reason and the answer to everything.

I knew the voices in my head were part of me. Just a hallucination. Its thoughts and its emotions stemmed from me. In the time I spent in the basement or cell, I had to change. Into an obedient pet and submissive, whereas I was the opposite. The voices were a way for me to hold on to the old version of myself. In this way, I wouldn't lose myself entirely.

And someone to talk to and help me.

I was harsh on myself sometimes, I was aware of it. My emotions kept changing each second. One moment I was happy. The next, I wasn't. One time, I was numb which I was pretty most of the time. Another time, I was emotional and sensitive - ready to have a panic attack anytime. And my thoughts followed it, making it scattered over and a mess. My mind was in chaos. Never the same - always changing. Like an ocean - you dip a finger in it, withdraw it, then dip it again, it isn't the same water you touched. It changed in a flash though you can't see it.