Metawin

"Win! Can we cut the crap?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

Dara looks at me with her wide eyes, nostrils flaring. I don't know who she thinks she's scaring. But it's certainly not me.

"Why are you coming with me to this brunch?," she asks again, massaging the bridge of her nose.

"Because that's what suitors do. They follow their crushes around, like lovesick puppies."

"That's not what suitors do and-"

"Then how come Bright is going?"

"Because he's the Prince. He has always been invited to this brunch. Also! You are not my suitor!"

I gasp. "How can you say that? Of course I'm your suitor."

"Win!"

"I have already confessed."

Dara takes my hands in hers and she looks up at me earnestly.

Wait. Was she already saying yes? That fast?

"Win," she says, holding my gaze. I can feel my eyes widening. "We're friends. We have always been friends. I know you inside and out and I am telling you, you are not into me at all. If you can please take a second to think about why you're suddenly courting me-"

"Dara, you are beautiful. You are amazing. I'd be a fool not to be into you."

She's fuming again. Her nostrils were doing that thing where it made her look like she was transforming into a dragon. "You are nuts. You are. I have no idea what brought this on but I want it to stop."

"How come you're not asking the Prince to stop? You barely know him Dara! I mean sure he looks like he belongs on a GQ center spread but that doesn't mean -"

"Win! I am giving Bright a chance because that is the terms of our betrothal. I promised my parents, remember? You know this."

I huff. "Well, I deserve a chance too."

"You want the chance to marry me," Dara challenges, crossing her arms across her chest.

Marriage? What? "Can't we date first?"

"METAWIN TEEPAKORN! For the love of -"

I hurriedly put my hands up in surrender. "I was kidding! Of course, I want the chance to marry you. You've known me all your life. I deserve as much as a chance as Bright."

Slowly I put my arms down, gauging her reaction.

Dara sighs in defeat. "Fine. If you're coming be useful. Please make sure all those boxes of food we're donating are packed."

"Me?"

"Yes you, dear suitor. Prove your undying love with acts of service."

I groan as I watch Dara walk out of the room.