Bright

I could never quite decide if my father and I were close. As we walked the corridors of the palace, it seems like we are. He was telling me about his travels and he was jokingly complaining about mother while I was telling him about Japan (parts of it anyway), Tia, and the many meetings he had missed. He tells me we should plan a family trip soon - perhaps do the tour of Africa we have always talked about.
We had the same humor and we followed the same logic. But at the same time , it feels like he didn't understand me at all.

"So, I hear you have stopped dating Dara."

There it was, the real reason he asked to walk with me.
"Allow me to explain," I interject, hoping he'd hear me out. But he was the king and kings did as they pleased.

"No need to explain. I just wish you had told me sooner that it wasn't a match."
"That would have been okay with you?"
"Of course!" My father turns to look at me and I dare to hope. "If you told me sooner then we could have arranged for a new match sooner."

I sigh. I should have known. "There is no need to hurry into another match, Father. Because-"
"Nonsense!," he interrupts. "Your mother has already arranged a date for you. This time, we are sure you will have a lot in common - after all she is also a princess. I am sure you have heard of Princess Lita Vosbein?"

"Father, there is no need for you and mother to trouble yourselves. I am pretty capable of finding a person to -"

"There is no trouble at all! In fact, we have already set it for this coming Saturday. We are talking to Scotland, wouldn't that be a romantic first date?"

"Father, I am sure it is romantic but - "

"But what?"

"You see, it may not be prudent to uh..well because..." How do I begin to explain this?

"Unless you are dating someone else?"

"Well..."

"Does that Teepakorn boy have a sister you're seeing?" The metal edge in his voice is barely there, but I hear it.
But I didn't care at that moment how angry it would make him. I wanted to tell him about Metawin. Tell him I've already found someone, my only one. But could I? Did Metawin want to be with me in that way? To be head of a world he so clearly despised? Did Metawin want me to abdicate the throne? Do I want to abdicate the throne? Could I do that to my family?

"Bright?," my father asks, interrupting my raging thoughts.

"I am not dating his sister."

"Then this is settled then. I will give the Vosbeins a call."

"Can you give me until tonight Father?"

"I do not understand why we should delay setting a date."

"I rarely ask for anything. All I am asking for now is a few hours."

The King makes a noise but relents. "All right then. A few hours." He straightens his jacket and changes tone. "Your mother misses you and Tia. Let's have dinner together. Your friend Metawin is welcome to join us."

I nod.

The King shoots me a thoughtful look. "I normally would not be a fan of the potential gossip a friendship with a Teepakorn can bring but in this instance, I am quite delighted. You have not have had any friends over in a while, you must have grown quite close."

I nod again wondering how on Earth could I ever explain just how close.