Dara

I was just a turn away from Win's house when I see a black sedan with the royal license plate just behind me. I slow down and let the sedan pass.

I had a feeling it was the prince on his way to his viscount.

It should have been enough for me to know Win would not be alone and whatever his crisis was, Bright would be there for him.
Rationally, I should have driven home. But a bigger part of me had the urge to stay put.

I park just across their gate and roll down a window. I get my phone out and start answering emails, glancing up once in awhile to make sure everything is okay.

I really should not waste my time being too protective of a grown man. But Win didn't sound so good on the phone earlier. Even Hirun was worried enough to find my office number and call me. I am sure Bright will make things better but - but I just cannot bring myself to drive home. Because the last time Win sounded this desperate he - never mind. I'll just have to play the stalker for a bit and stay here.

There are several affidavits I need to read through anyway and the car is quiet so it would be the best place to -

I see Bright open the door of the manor as if he's in a hurry. I see him stand outside the door, shifting as if undecided whether to leave or storm back in. Finally, he balls his hands into fists and a crestfallen look passes through his face.

He walks towards the gate and takes out his phone to call. Not even a minute passes by when the same black sedan from earlier arrives in front of Win's house.

Bright gets in and I cannot be certain but I think he was wiping away a tear.

The sedan speeds off and I take that as my cue to find Win.

- - -
Metawin and I have always balanced each other out and it's part of why we work so well as friends. I am level headed and logical. He is emotional and impulsive. I rein in him and center him. He pushes me to live my life and have fun. But the thing few people know is, Win is not always fun. Which is fine, right? Who can be happy 100% of the time? But Win feels he needs to be. Because he thinks any darkness or any heaviness from him will drive people away. He buries all his sadness and anger so deep within himself, it always is a disaster when the dam finally breaks.

Tonight, it is very clear the dam has been broken.

I have learned through the years that my intellect and my words of wisdom cannot fix a broken dam. Sometimes, we just need to let the water flow and all we can offer is to be someone you can hold on, to make sure that although currents may be strong none of us will drown.

I hold him in my arms as he quietly cries. I don't ask him what happened. That doesn't matter right now. He'll talk when he's ready.

- - -
A rustle of cloth. A sniffle. That's all it takes for my eyes to open. Being a light sleeper is my curse but it's helpful for times like this.

"You're awake."

Win merely nods.

"Do you want some water? I can go get uou some."

"I'll go with you," he says, his voice still hoarse.

We both quietly leave his room and make our way in the dark towards the kitchen. We opened one tiny lamp as to not wake up anyone else, especially not Win's father.

Soon I had prepared our water and a plateful of some brownies I found in the refrigerator.

We ate in silence. I glance at my phone to check the time. It is just about to turn five in the morning.

"Do you want me to make coffee?," I offer. "Or do you want to try and go back to sleep?"

"He's going on a date with a princess."