Metawin

I blinked.

There were 3 baby angels staring at me.

I close my eyes and open them again. Yep, they're definitely there.

Was I dead?

GRRRRR

Can stomachs can growl in the after life?
Man, was I hungry. Are there pancakes in heaven?

I try turning my head side to side and it takes more effort than I'd like.

I was in some sort of fancy room - heavy drapery, gold leaf pillars, and fresco angels painted all over the ceiling.

I narrow my eyes. Hidden discreetly amongst the very European renaissance decor is a sleek black split type air conditioner.

So, that probably means this is not heaven.

So where am I?

Am I in another of Dara's guest rooms? My God, how big is her castle? I have visited this place for years and there are still rooms I don't know about? Do they build a new room every week?

I look under the blankets. At least there's no hungover minor beside me this time.

I sit up and at once my head spins. I close my eyes and snippets of memories flood my brain. I remember my perfect score. The whispers. The three thugs in the bathroom. The boxing stadium. Collapsing in front of Bright.

I grimace. That was definitely not my finest moment. Speaking of which, where was he? And how did I get here?

I needed answers. I needed to find people. I ease myself off the bed and start walking, ignoring the pinpricks of pain forming everywhere on my body.

I push the wooden door open and see Dara and Bright.

Their backs were turned to me.
They were were standing so close together.
Whispering to each other.
Even if there was no reason to. There was no one here. Just them.

They looked good together.
The Prince's six-foot-frame curving like a puzzle piece against Dara's lithe five-foot-five. Their doe eyes both sparkled in the afternoon light. He looked built to protect her and she was made to sink into him.

They would make a fairytale King and Queen.

I cannot explain why but the pain in my body travelled to my chest. It burned and ached, making my eyes water and my knees weak. I try stagger backwards, trying to get back to bed without anyone noticing me but I fail.

My body hits the door and the door hits the wall.

Dara and Bright turn just in time to see me collapse to the floor.

Bright wordlessly scoops me upwards. His brow furrowed, his lips set in a hard line. He slings my left arm across his shoulder. While both his arms looped at the front and back of my waist. We walk slowly and silently back to the bed. He sits me down.

"Why are you- "
"I'm sorry I-"
We begin to talk at the same time. And we go silent at the same time.
The silence stretches on.

Dara clears her throat and speaks. "Win, do you need anything? Water? Food? I'm sure Prince Bright could get it for you."

Why because he'd do anything you ask?
I am embarrassed by my own pettiness.
I remain silent, just wanting the pain in my chest to go away.

Dara takes a seat beside me and loops her arm around mine. "Do you need medicine? How's your head?"

Bright looks from me to Dara and back. He sighs.