Bright

One of the guards approach me during a lull in the discussion with the Trade Commission officers. He reports briefly that Metawin has been escorted safely back home. I nod and turn my eyes back to the discussion at hand.

Or at least I try to. For some reason, it was a little harder to keep my focus on grain export routes.

The guard's news wasn't worrying. So I should not be affected. It was a good thing Metawin has gone home. I am relived. This is relief, right? Right.

I'm relieved because that means the doctor gave him an all clear. No lasting damage from the Tournament, no more pain in his feet.

I'm relieved because I no longer have to avoid him around the castle and he will no longer bug me when I work, or run up beside me when I take my morning walks, or pester me about watching Hot Fuzz and Bridgerton when I want to watch reruns of football games. He will no longer invade my personal space and sit too close for no good reason.

My days will be quiet again. Good. Good. Super good.

My phone buzzes and I sneak a peek at it.
A snippet of a message appears on my screen.

Metawin: I'm headed to work now. Too many days away and a lot of paper work to catch up on. I miss-

The message preview cuts off and I immediately open my phone, wanting to read the rest of the message. Why? Because it could be urgent, right? Right.

Metawin: ...I missed so many meetings already so I have to dive back in at once. I'm sure you of all people know how that feels. Thank you for taking care of me. I feel 100% better now.

He missed meetings. Of course, his schools must need him back. So many children rely on him. But should he be at work on the first day he's back home? Shouldn't he at least take one more day off?

I realize the room has gone quiet and all eyes are on me. I look around the room and raise my eyebrows, what was the matter?

"Your Highness, is there anything about the report that vexes you?"

"Not particularly," I reply scanning the graph projected on screen quickly. I wasn't even really looking at it.

"You seemed pretty concerned."

I give a small smile to the minister. "It's just a lot to take in. Perhaps, we could all do with a short break so we could mull it over."

The room murmured in agreement and I stood up, the rest followed.

I reread Metawin's message and reply.

Bright: Are you sure you should be at work? Shouldn't you settle in at home first? Do you want me to send a nurse over to your office for a quick check?

Metawin: I am okay, Your Highness. Unless you're offering to turn up here in a nurse's outfit?

I massage my temples. This man.

Bright: I am being serious here.

Metawin: And I am serious about you.

I feel my cheeks burn and my neck prickle. I raised a hand to ask for water. Metawin is going to give me a heart attack with these texts.

I sit back down before I respond.

Bright: I stand corrected. You do seem very much back to your old self.

Metawin: Maybe I am just pretending through text. The only way to know for sure how I am doing is to come see for yourself. Maybe have dinner with me and check my appetite while you're at it?

I turn off the phone and shove it back into my pocket. Insufferable!

"Ah Your Highness seems ready to resume!"