Metawin

I don't know how long I stand there like an idiot statue. Mosquitoes were feasting on my bare arms but I couldn't seem to care.

It took so long to get here.
And I was fucking it up again.
Yay Teepakorn genes.

The kiss lingers on my mouth.
I have kissed so many people before.
Out of curiosity. Out of lust. Out of the desire to feel anything.

But I never knew kisses could be like that.
Like being set free. Like finding who you are in the mouth of another. Like your heart finally learning why it exists after thirteen long years of denial.

All because The Prince kept a kite.

He kept it. He put it in a safe. He was so distressed when he thought I stole it. He said it was important.

He remembers me.

Tears well up my eyes. Feelings I told myself over and over again that I didn't have and couldn't have bubble up to the surface. All those feelings that I poured into flings and into kites. All those feelings I could not even share with my best friend because I didn't want to acknowledge they existed. Suddenly they're all there.

So I kissed him. Because what else was I supposed to do?

But he thinks I am with Dara.

Because stupid Dara told me to kiss her.

Irrationally, I take out my phone and start to dial.

"Are you calling to apologize for kicking me out of your room?," Dara drawls as soon as she picks up my call.

"I am calling to blame you for Bright walking out on me after I kissed him."

I hear a loud thud from the other end of the phone.

"After you WHAT?!"

Oh yeah. I may have skipped a lot of information just now. "Uh well so I kissed Bright? Because apparently he kept my blue kite? And that made me realize I have always had feelings for him and that I should - "

"Slow down! What kite? What feelings? Metawin, is this some sort of prank call?"

I take a breath and explain it the best I could. Meeting the Prince when I was twelve. Being naive enough to believe I was getting betrothed instead of exiled. Denying my crush on a boy I wasn't even allowed to see by law. Stopping Dara and Bright's engagement because I didn't want to lose my best friend but also because it killed me to see him wanting to marry someone else.
And finally, kissing him and watching him walk away from me again.

Dara is silent for a few seconds before asking: "So how is any of this my fault?"

"Why did you make me kiss you!"

"You weren't supposed to kiss me, Win! You were supposed to realize 'Oh shit i really do just see her as my sister. Who I really want to bone down deep is Bright.'"

"I don't want to bone him deep!"

"Stop denying it. You want to boneee himmm," she sings off key.

"I can't believe I ever wanted to marry you."

She snorts. "You never wanted to marry me."

"So what do I do now? My Prince thinks we're dating."

"So he's your prince now huh?"

"Shut up and help me."

"Metawin you are the flirtiest person I know. You are also the most determined. Go after him."

"He thinks we're together."

"Tell him we're not!"

"Why would he believe me when I spent so much energy convincing him I want to marry you?"

"You should really stop digging holes for yourself. That was truly the ickiest chapter of our friendship."

"I am sorry! I will make it up to you! And please promise me that we will never kiss again because that was horrible."

"Excuse me! I am a good kisser."

"So am I. But please let's stick to high fives."

"Again, not my fault."

"Helppppp meeee. Stop nagging meeeeee."

She laughs and I do too. Despite my impending love life crisis, this felt right. It was nice to be back to normal with Dara. No more of this stupid pretense of courtship.

"Win," Dara says. "I only have one solution."

"What is it?"

"Court him."

"What?"

"Knock him off his feet. Show him it's just him and it will always be him."

"How do you even court a prince?"

"You're the one who's so into all those cheesy movies. Figure it out."

"Are you sure? Because...look objectively, I am a catch."

"How modest."

"No listen. I am. But to the Royals? You know why they beat me up. You know why I stay away. How would I impress anyone here?"

"It's just Bright you need to win over. And if he kept that kite all these years. If he remembers wanting to marry you all these years...Win, he likes you. He may even love you."

The fear of being rejected swirls in my gut. The fear of once again having the Palace tear Bright away from me fills my chest.

"Win," Dara says softly, pulling me back to the present. "I know you're scared. And I cannot guarantee this will end happily. But there's really just one question here -is he worth it?"

Bright's big soulful eyes flash in my memory. His smile widening until it became a laugh. That grin he only seemed to shoot in my direction. The bow of his mouth and how it tasted of something sweet, warm, and intoxicating.

I wasn't ready to let that go. Not again. And this time I wasn't some clueless powerless boy. This time, I could fight.

"He's worth it."

"Go get him, tiger."

- - -
Author's Note:

I lied. I'm back. I woke up today knowing what I wanted to write so I wrote it before work could start.

Thank you for reading!!! Let the fluff begin! 🤍

P.S
Is Devil's Sister sad? I stopped at the 5th episode because it was becoming too sad for me? But does it become happier later in the show?

See you soon guys!
Happy Thursday!